I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Eva Grip and contact cement problem
Posted by: Will Dornan (---.wyom.net)
Date: February 23, 2012 02:12AM

I just got a band saw and started gluing up square EVA blocks for grips with trim bands and some diagonal eva strips. I wanted to try the diagonal pattern so the grip has the rings in it. Brown foam block with yellow rings - the Wyoming colors.
Two questions 1) Do I need to let the contact cement dry for several days before turning it? I glued one set of 1/4" eva strips in then let it set for 7 days. Then I did the other strips waited about 30 minutes and started turning the block. I put one layer of glue on each side of the eva to be stuck together, let it dry 10 minutes then pressed them together. The glue(weldwood contact cement) seemed to not be set up on the inside of the grip on the strips that were only given a short dry time. The eva was delaminating as I turned it. I stopped and in an attempt to salvage the grip I put some more contact cement in the delaminated spaces, wrapped the grip with twine as a clamp and let it be in hopes it will reset. Where did I go wrong?
2) Is there a good source for solid eva blocks (no center holes) with lots of good color selections ( I know Mudhole has a few colors). I am after brown, yellow, red, black, yellow, dark blue, light blue, white, pink,green, camos, etc?
I am headed to the Expo this week end and look forward to Billy's seminar on eva grips which will probable clear up all the reasons for my mess but if anyone has any input I'll take it.
Thanks
Will

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eva Grip and contact cement problem
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: February 23, 2012 07:05AM

You must put a second coat of contact cement when using the foam . The first coat is pretty much absorbed by the foam. When it is completly dry you can re apply it. Press them together after the second coat is completly dry.
Billy does have the blocks in most of those colors with the exception of brown and pink.

Good luck,

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2012 08:01AM

Will, here is what I will have at The NERBs booth in High Point: [www.rodbuilding.org] I have an order for black, purple, pink, and neon green, as well as dark orange, red & blue - I hope to have it in a month or 2. Here is a link to my site: [northeastrodbuilders.com]

If the piece is PROPERLY glued up, you will not have a problem. I do not wait after I glue a grip up, I'll go righ ton the lathe and bore/turn it down. Bill touched on it, you NEED 2 coats of CC on teh craft foam, and teh blocks too. White craft foam is especailly absorbant for whatever reason. YOu also MUST make sure the glue is completely dry before pressing the pieces together. If you STETCHED the foam to fit on your mandrel, that often causes it to split apart. How fresh was your glue? Was it anew can with very runny cement? That might require you use more glue. Was it really thick and gooey? If so, youmight need a new can of cement.

The fix that you did should work, as long as you put enough CC on both pieces where it split. And don't think I don't have grips split apart on me, it does happen from time to time, I fix it the same way you did here. I do not have grips pop open like it sounds like happened to you.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 23, 2012 09:31PM

Billy,

Did I read that right, you have Orange Vari Swirl or did you miss a comma?

jeremy

Posted by: michael a senzig (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 02, 2014 06:51AM

I recently ordered a shipment of Eva from Billy. It was a high quality. I received it 2 days later! Very impressed! He has some hard to find colors also. I look forward to my next shipment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster