I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Buying rod blanks... any tips?
Posted by: Josh Jensen (173.84.123.---)
Date: February 21, 2012 07:52AM

hey guys,
I have been building rods as a few times a month hobby for about five years now and I have decided to start building my stock up, I've Noticed there are some options when for buying rod blanks in bulk and they require a tax ID number. I'm not sure I am ready to start a small business yet, that being said, I hard to build the stock up without breaking the bank. I'm look for some suggestions that the wonderful users of Rodbuiling might have to offer :) some rod information, I live in NE WI, lots of opportunity for everything from Pan-fish to Pike I'm looking for some good Blank options to match.
Thanks Guys
Josh 'Skinny" Jensen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying rod blanks... any tips?
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2012 08:04AM

go to the ICRBE best selection and great deals. more bang for your buck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 08:16AM

Sign up for e mail alerts on some of the suppliers and look for sales Should be a lot after the show

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: brad parker (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 21, 2012 08:34AM

Several of the sponsors for this forum have closeouts on their websites. Now most of them are last years blanks, or discontinued blanks, but they still make nice rods. Sign up for newsletters and emails, and visit websites from time to time. I have picked up several nice blanks doing this.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2012 08:47AM

The Expo would be your best bet all around ... lots of inventory, great deals, seminars, etc. Outside of that, the recommendations mentioned AND the telephone. There isn't a single sponsor that isn't sitting on distressed inventory, all business have the issue from time to time. Call with cash-in-hand and specifically ask what they have in closeouts, overstocks, blems, etc. Be prepared to purchase a dozen blanks - that will save two ways, cost per blank and shipping per blank (since they will all ride together).

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2012 09:05AM

Josh,

As a hobby builder myself, I feel your pain. If you are building a few rods a month for others and profiting, it would be worth the paperwork of a small business. Not to mention the IRS would definitely see it that way.

Rather than trying to stock every blank you might need, try thinking about what it takes to have a minimum set of rods to cover everything from panfish to pike. Keep in mind a trim here or an extension there can allow one blank to be built into a variety of rods. I bet you can come up with fewer than 10 blanks needed to cover the whole spectrum. To aid in tuning blanks, get a blank duplicator from Swampland (I think they have them), or make one yourself. It will be an invaluable tool.

You can always order specialty or high modulus blanks as needed picking up an extra here or there to build some stock.

Keep an eye out for closeout specials and deals at the ICRBE. Some vendors may even offer show prices on leftover stock after the show.

Joe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2012 09:36AM

There will be over 12,000 rod blanks at the Expo this year. Many, if not most, will sell for below normal pricing. Plus, you can see, feel, shake, wiggle, etc., them.

[www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Date: February 21, 2012 10:30AM

Thanks Guys!
Some very good Info. I'm not sure I can make it to NC but I'll definitely take a look at the ICRBE website! question comes about because I just upgraded my wrapping setup... I'll be receiving my Rezetti on Thursday! Very Exciting!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 11:16AM

If you have upgraded to a Renzetti - then you should get a tax ID number. Cost = ZERO

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 21, 2012 12:04PM

Ken Preston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have upgraded to a Renzetti - then you
> should get a tax ID number. Cost = ZERO

Ken, what do you mean by that? Just curious. I still need to pay personal use tax on fixtures, tools, etc. here in MN. Example - If I buy a lathe on Amazon I pay tax on it.

Date: February 21, 2012 12:12PM

Morning Chuck,
I think he means I should just get a tax id to be eligible for whole sale prices on rod blanks and components.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2012 12:14PM

Buy low, sell high.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2012 01:50PM

If you are selling ONE rod, you are supposed to obtain a FEIN and register to collect/remit FET ... it is that simple. In respect to saving money ... hardly. Businesses are NOT cheap to run, manage, etc. and the exposure is high to audit and other forms of scrutiny. There is nothing at all wrong with rod building as a hobby. I have more fun building rods to giveaway to friends, colleagues or charities than building for profit. As far as the Renzetti cost being "ZERO" for a business ... not quite. The benefit would be restricted to an offset of taxable income which would reduce taxes by the net effective tax rate ... for most folks 18-22%. That would still leave you paying "out of pocket" per se, for the other 78-82% of the cost.

Date: February 21, 2012 02:10PM

Josh - what Jim says is true. I have had a legitimate rod "business" since 2006. You won't save much just by getting things wholesale. Rarely a month goes by that I don't wonder if it's worth the hassle. It's fun at times, and rewarding as well, but not a money maker. I think I could make more money picking up aluminum cans from the highway. I do it because I love to build rods. But I just about cried when the gov took 1/3 of my profits in income tax.

Date: February 21, 2012 02:20PM

Josh - one more thing. I do business with many of the sponsors on the left. One of them recently upgraded their wholesale policy requiring a minumum dollar amount every year. One reason behind this is that rod builders that had wholesale rights, and are supposedly running a business, are taking up too much of their time by calling on the phone and asking which blanks, guides and reel seats to use on a rod. I think more and more of the suppliers will go that route, and I welcome it. I figure if you're in the business of selling rods then you should know how to buy your parts. ;)

Chuck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 02:48PM

very true - very true

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 21, 2012 03:49PM

I completely understand I really agree people should know their parts for sure! I greatful for all of the knowledge here It is really helping! I think I have decided that I need a funding source for this venture and just look for retail deals like many of you suggested.

Posted by: lee reed (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 03:58PM

as one who is just about to venture into the hobby myself i feel your pain josh.i dont plan on selling any rods but maybe give a cpl away to elderly buddies who have taught me alot about catfishing and a guide buddy and would like to find a place a guy cld order 3 or 4 blanks a time reasonable and not have to have a tax id etc..sure wish i could make the trip from iowa to the expo but wont work this year.

Date: February 21, 2012 04:46PM

Many of the sponsors on the left run good deals, and often announce them here. Go into your Control Center, and click on Edit Email Settings, and then check the box - Allow others to see my email address.

Now board members & sponsors can email you privately and recommend their favorite places to buy blanks.

If you lurk on this board for a bit, and pay attention, all your questions will be answered.

Chuck

Posted by: Josh Jensen (---.sub-174-254-210.myvzw.com)
Date: February 21, 2012 05:30PM

My thoughts exactly Lee :-) and thanks for the tip Chuck I'll get on that right now! I'll be doing a lot more lurking since its the off season in my profession for a couple more months anyway then it's data collection time

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster