I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

13"6" CTS FF1363-3-P2000 Affinty blank Guide Placement
Posted by: Steve Lynas (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: February 21, 2012 05:46AM

Friend bought a CTS blank for a float rod build and gave it to me to work on. He added about a 8 inch extention so now this rod from butt to tip is about 14'2" I have 13- 14 Pac Bay Minima guides I have ready to go with this pole

It is a three piece rod and I am just not sure where to start with guide placements. This is the longest pole I have ever built to date.

Any suggestions would be appreciated to help get me started. I can then do a static test and make the minor adjustment that might be needed from any measurements I get from this forum.

Again three piece, 14'2" float rod 4-8lb rating. 13 to 14 guide placements.

thanks

Steve Lynas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 13"6" CTS FF1363-3-P2000 Affinity blank Guide Placement
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 09:13AM

Steve,
Is this going to be built as a spinning or as a casting rod.

In either case, I would start with the first guide at about 30 inches from the reel and go from there.

Simply put, place a guide anywhere you need to direct line or to keep the line following the shape of the loaded blank.

It is not at all difficult and you don't need to spend a lot of time on it.

Obviously have the guides closer together when the blank is thinner and further apart when the blank is larger and more robust.

With multiple piece rods, I try to make a point of having one guide fairly close to each joint if possible. If the guide arrangement allows for the placement of a guide that is fairly close to the joint, it makes the multi piece rod easier to align when you are putting it together.

Also, when I build multi piece rods, I basically treat each section of the rod as a separate rod with respect to determining the straightest axis. i.e. I mark each section of the rod separately with respect to the side of the blank section on which I am going to place the guides.

If this is a spinning rod with a moderate action blank, the use of 13 to 14 guides would be about right. On the other hand, if this blank is a fast or extra fast rod blank, you may need to add several guides near the tip to allow nice line action and good blank loading of the rod.

Good luck
Roger

Re: 13"6" CTS FF1363-3-P2000 Affinity blank Guide Placement
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 10:14AM

There are several articals on the library page upper right that should help a lot

Bill - willierods.com

Re: 13"6" CTS FF1363-3-P2000 Affinty blank Guide Placement
Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 10:36AM

Steve, I built a float rod on a spey blank last year and spoke with Greg Holloway of Hopkins & Holloway in the UK and per his directions set the stripper guide at 32 inches from the reel stem. The rod casts nicely. The stripper guide is also a 10 ring match guide. Seems small but works well with 4-6lb mono. Haven't tried it with braid yet.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: February 21, 2012 06:16PM

Is the rod going to be used with a center pin reel? . Start from the tip of the rod and work down . Start at 3" to 3 1/2" from the tip to the first guide and then add 1" to each guide. EG 3.5 , 4.5, 5.5, 6.5, and so forth. From there a little static testing should work out for you. If you are going to be fishing in icey wheather then you may want to up size your guides on the tip to an 8. .

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Steve Lynas (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: February 21, 2012 06:46PM

Thanks Gents

It is going to be used with a centre pin reel. Keeping the guides (if possible) close to the joint for ease of alignment does make some sense.

I have purchased #8 tip top ring size so that fits your opinion, but I am afraid the stripper guide I went for was a 25. They go down from there til I get to #8 ring size which they stay til (7 qty) til the end.

Steve

Steve Lynas

Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2012 07:36AM

Tip 3 1/2 7 1/2 12 17 3/4 23 3/4 31 1/2 40 49 3/4 61 1/4 73 5/8 87 5/8 104 1/2 123 1/2 This is for the !3' 6'' CTS Affinity float blank rated 4-8 lbs. Fished with a centre pin reel. I went with Fuji guides size 20j 16j 12j 10j 8j 8j 8j 8lj 8lj 7j 7j 7j 7j 7j I fish it all winter. The difference between the size 7's and the 8's is relatively no different if guide icing is the concern. I have built a few with this configuration. I got it from the CTS supplier in Canada who is also a builder. There is a twelve guide set up as well

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster