I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which lathe...
Posted by: Wade White (---.agcocorp.com)
Date: February 20, 2012 10:03AM

Okay, I'm at that point in my rodbuilding journey that it's time for a lathe, but which one? I'd love to have a Jet, but that's a bit on the high end of what I want to spend on just a machine. I've been looking at a Grizzly or a Central Machinery (Harbor Freight). The machines look identical, as if they were made in the same factory under different brands. Has anyone had any experience with these machines? Is there something else that you would recommend? I'd like to have a few bucks in the budget for chisels, a 4 jaw chuck and a drill chuck to round out the unit. I've turned a couple of bowls and that was 20 years ago, so I'm pretty much in the beginner category.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which lathe...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2012 10:10AM

Some times you'll save money by spending a little bit more. The trouble with machines that aren't very good is that very soon you'll figure out that you need to upgrade, and the initial money spent has now been wasted.

Grizzly has some good machines. If you're planning to do more than just turn cork, I would go with no less than their model H8259. That's a pretty decent model - in fact it's the same casting and machine as the original Jet and Delta Mini-lathes that appeared on the scene around 10 years ago.

Date: February 20, 2012 10:36AM

That's exactly one of the lathes I was looking at.

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: February 20, 2012 11:57AM

Hi Wade
When buying machines always buy the best you can afford. Sometimes its best to wait until you can afford, I bought a saw for 150$ it @#$%& from now on I wait a little longer to get the better tool. Its worth the wait.

Mike
Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-220-14.myvzw.com)
Date: February 20, 2012 01:29PM

Just a thought for you since this is your first lathe. I have a Turncrafter VS with the bed extention. I used it for 1 1/2 years. I wanted a bigger lathe to use for some bigger projects. All works well and is a good entry level lathe. If you were anywhere near me it's yours for $100 bucks. It's in my shed taking up room. Problem is I'm sure you live nowhere near me. I don't remember what I paid, somewhere around $250 to $300 for the whole thing. Shipping would be the cost problem. Just something for you to consider. Others can comment on what they think of this lathe or the price.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2012 05:14PM

Doug,

Are you going to High Point? A connection could be made there.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2012 05:23PM

That's a good price for that lathe, plus the variable speed. Good option to have.

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-220-14.myvzw.com)
Date: February 20, 2012 05:38PM

Hey, Tom let's up the stakes for this gentelman. I have seen others help others who are new or moving into a new level of building. Life has been good to me and mine for the most part. The price is now $50 bucks, that should off set the shipping to a large degree, unless your in Montana, then you can take me fishing. Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 05:48PM by Douglas Webb.

Date: February 20, 2012 05:45PM

WOW!!!! Doug I don't know what to say, other than check your email.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 07:37PM

Wow! Class act Mr. Webb!!!

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-228-201.myvzw.com)
Date: February 20, 2012 07:48PM

I will be the first to admit I was nervous when I wrote my post and tryed to be careful as to what I said. I only did this as I learned from those who proceded me and some recently, one who gave a young man a power wrapper. The single thing I most admire about the rod building community is their willingness to give and help others. I have received plenty of help on this site and others. That is all I am trying to do to encourage a young rodbuilder to persue this addiction and maybe I can cause him a little trouble with his significant other!!!!!!!! Heck, in a couple of months I most likly would have sold it at a garage sale as we are moving soon. And by charging a little I can answer my wife honestly when she asks did I sell it lol. As my youngest daughter who is now 21 has often said to me 'Dad your never going to make any money at this". I am the one to thank all of you for the comradery and the long distance relationships we form. Forgive some of my spelling!!

Posted by: Wade White (173.17.133.---)
Date: February 20, 2012 08:08PM

Chuck you are absoulutely correct. I had a wonderful conversation with Doug this afternoon and he truly is a class act.

And Doug, I will be in trouble with my wife as I won't want to stop turning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster