I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf Rod
Posted by: Christopher Taylor (---.utc.com)
Date: February 20, 2012 09:50AM

I am looking at building a surf rod for myself. Looking anywhere between 11 and 14 foot. Any suggestions on combinations of blank, reel seat, handle (cork wrap?) and guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf Rod
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 10:55AM

Check out Batson, they have a great line of surf blanks to match your needs

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 11:04AM

It would help if you were more specific as to the purpose of this surf rod.
Are you planning to throw plugs or metal or bait and some weight?
Spinning or conventional casting?
What kind of fish are you targeting.. and where?
Are you a big strong guy?

Your answers to these questions will help generate more helpful responses to your query.

Posted by: Christopher Taylor (---.utc.com)
Date: February 20, 2012 11:13AM

I am looking at a drum rod. Probably throwing an 8 - 12 oz weight with bait. Depending on currents. Here in NC the currents get pretty bad and need heavy weight to keep the bait still. Casting reel. I'm just your average size guy, so don't want something so heavy I can't hold it. I'm thinking of a one piece rod. Does anyone have suggestions on one or two piece? I have a two piece now. I know they make a one piece in 11 ft. but after that not sure how practical it would be in transporting.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 03:30PM

99% of all surf rods are 2pc now. Lamiglas makes some 1 pc blanks still. There are lots of choices in that range it all depends on what you want to spend. For throwing chunks/bait I use a Talon 1329 which is 11' 8-14oz. Very nice blanks. But there are many choices slow action, fast action and moderate!!

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: February 22, 2012 09:54AM

Your blank selection will be limited to the weight you are trying to cast. Look for a weight range on the blanks from Lamigas, Batsons, and others to narrow your choices. The sweet spot for most blanks will be in the mid-high end of the range if you are looking for max distance. When you narrow your choices for budget and manufacturer, give us a shout here and you'll get some better responses for your project.

Terry

Your blank selection will be limited to the weight you are trying to cast. Look for a weight range on the blanks from Lamigas, Batsons, and others to narrow your choices. The sweet spot for most blanks will be in the mid-high end of the range if you are looking for max distance. When you narrow your choices for budget and manufacturer, give us a shout here and you'll get some better responses for your project.

Terry

Terry

Posted by: Andrew Kumjian (---.stj.spawar.navy.mil)
Date: February 23, 2012 10:25AM

I second the Batson recommendation. specifically the 1509. its two piece, 30/70 split, 12' 6" rated to 12oz. all around great heaver, perfect for throwing 8 and bait at the point.

Andrew K
Chesapeake, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 10:26AM by Andrew Kumjian.

Posted by: Joe Miani (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 11:10PM

I have built fourteen surf rods for local fisherman that head to the Outer Banks every year. One was a spinner and the rest were all conventional set-ups. All of the rods were built on the one piece Lamiglas GSB136 1MH blnk. All of the rods were built with Fuji S.I.C. guides. All of the surf fishermen that own these rods cast 8-12 ozs. plus bait (whole mullet, whole bunker [in NJ]) an usually are using 50-65lb test Power Pro braid or 30lb monofilament. The only reason for the 50-65lb Power Pro is at those ratings the line itself is thick enough to prevent the outer coils of line on the spool from digging into the inner coils of line on the spool.
If you can't see your way to purchasing the Fuji S.I.C. guides then opt for the alconite guides (BMNAG) or the silicon nitride guides. But, the S.I.C. guides are the slickest guides you can get. Based on my experience thay will yield those few extra yards that may just be the difference between catching and just fishing.
Good luck!

Posted by: Clyde Hunt (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 11:36PM

For Drum, the Rainshadow 1509 and the Lami 1502 are the work horses. I like using a Lami 1221MH for fishing the Point where distance isn't the primary concern. The 1362MH is a nice "tweener" rod but it ends up being left on in the rack more and more as I get older. The 1502 is lighter and easier to cast.

Hint, for the price the Mudhole LSB1502MH is very tuff to beat ;)

Posted by: Andrew Kumjian (---.stj.spawar.navy.mil)
Date: March 01, 2012 03:48PM

I have two 1509's and love both of them. I had two built for a friend that surf fishes Assateague Island all summer, with 6 oz he was able to throw 196 and 203 yards in a field. All these rods are built with Forecast BUDLG guides and are built conventional. they have caught everything from Stripers, Red and Black Drum to 9 1/2 foot sand tiger sharks off the beach.

I plan on building another one this spring just to add another to my collection while they are available. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster