I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seeker CBW658
Posted by: michael schnoor (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2012 06:59PM

Hey guys,

I just received this CBW658 blank from my father that he got through an estate sale. I mainly build custom inshore rods, but i was looking into starting to work on some other projects as well. I do often fish the keys in Islamorada, Fl so I could put it up for some use. What can I custom build this rod for(IE: species-wise, and build-wise?) I know Seeker blanks are the top of the line when it comes to offshore fishing, so any help would be appreciated. We fish for everything from dorado, snapper, permit and grouper when we are down there. We bottom fish reefs, to flatlining, and live bait tarpon fish. Any great suggestions for guides and the such would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

-Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeker CBW658
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2012 07:41PM

The rod has almost endless power for Inshor fishing - the Seeker HErcule Inshore Light blanks which I helped Seeker design were based off hte 708 (the 7' vs the 6'6 that you have), but the Hercules used more graphite and as a result the rod is a littel siffter, lighter, and thinner. The 658 will work for Snapper an dsmaller Grouper, Mahi, and more smaller fish you guys catch down there. IT's not the right rod for biggre uttons and GRoupers tha tyou have to turn their head and keep away from teh rocks, btu if you were able to ge the fish out of the rocks the 8 poweer/Inshore Lite blanks will not have a proble at all. And for Tarpon, I have not done that fishing except one time, but I know ht y will be fin eup to about 100#'s, fish bigger than that need a rod with a bit more power.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 19, 2012 08:53PM

WOW, you scored getting that blank. A favorite of mine and I call it the REEF ROD as the first one was built to fish in 70' of water over an artificial reef using 6 and 8 oz sinkers. Great feel with that tip. On two different trips two different anglers boated makos about 125#. It works!!! Have fun fishing/catching with it.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: February 20, 2012 03:03PM

Thanks for the replies! I'm wondering if this rod might be a good candidate to try out a spiral wrap on? The rod has been shipped by my father, so i should be getting it shortly!

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 03:35PM

Since you don't have the rod yet I guess you don't know if it's a Blue Lightning series S-glass carbon or a E-glass/carbon. The E-glass version will be either all black or graphite transition into honey colored E-glass. IMO the old E-glass models are softer then the Blue Lightning models. Spiral wrapped would great on that blank!!

Date: February 20, 2012 04:25PM

Yeah, I'm excited to get my hands on it. Every google search has brought up people mentioning how great this rod is. Guess I won't know till I see it!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 06:40PM

IMHO, without seeing or feeling the rod mind you, I'd suspect the rod would be better suited towards dolphin, kingfish,wahoo, and sailfish (in the keys). It would be okay for snapper and grouper provided you didn't need to use a lot of lead. While it is labeled as an inshore rod I don't think it would be best for permit but it might be great for tarpon.

Typically the west coast rods are more of a live bait taper and well suited towards general purpose trolling and freelining/drifting live baits under ballons and kites.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 06:56PM

Russel - you are correct in your assemment of the blank. IT handles about 6oz, and the tip is sft and fast, typical of a West Caost live bait tpaer, but not THAT fast like a CLB model.

Date: February 20, 2012 08:06PM

Yeah, that's exactly what I was curious about. It was labeled as an inshore rod, but I saw posts of people using 6-8oz sinkers on it for fluke fishing. Seems like it might be really good for freelining for smokers or dolphin.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 09:57PM

This is the point I'm curious about too. In general the guys up north need to use more weight. Yet invariably they will pick a softer tipped rod to do so than I would for my waters. I think it has to do with current, structure, and the tendancy of the fish to run for cover and/or the way they bite. Billy has a distinct advantage as he has fished my waters but I have not fished his. Plus he probably touches more blanks in a year than I do in a decade. Then again I'm older...LOL!

In my waters, a grouper needs to be moved right away. You need a solid lock up in the blank early on as they run for their holes. If they reach it game is over. Muttons don't run for cover but are sensitive to sinkers making noise (bouncing on the bottom) so you want just enough give for the waves but enough tip to fish more weight than you'd normally use.

In short, I love west coast live bait rods for anything but bottom fishing in my area. For grouper an IFGA trolling rod isn't a terrible choice but I hate them with a passion. For muttons I'm looking at back bounce and musky blanks. I suspect a lighter musky blank in a composite blank might be perfect. For mangroves a stiff tipped spin/jig like a St. Croix in a light weight class works great. Lami triflex are nice for grouper IMHO. Just enough tip to see a nibble but a very quick, solid lock up, with the back bone to move a fish.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: February 21, 2012 07:40AM

Hi Russell,

Have you tried the Lamiglas CGBT 841 MH for moving big strong fish like grouper. It is rated 40 # class line. Many builders would walk right past this blank. The factory rod is the BL 7040. This was Lamiglas's entry to the Tri Flex series and came out as the CGBT 841 M. They eventually redesignated as the CGBT 841 MH.

Why do I like it? Many reasons. I have fished it with a 10 oz sinker for tog (black fish) matched up with a Newell 332. The combo balanced well, looked like a big rig but easy to hold all day. The best part is how sensitive the tip is and you can set a hook fast if you desire. Hook up and you get right into the strength of the blank. But you will get some flex fighting the fish so you have a shock absorber. With that set up I can feel when the meat of a crab has been eaten and time to rebait. Crazy I know but this is what happens.

I have also used this blank for cod fishing with 20 + oz of lead. When drifting a three way swivel bucktailing set up for striped bass and coming up a slope we use 12 oz + in sinker weight. The tip action tells all and when you set the hook in a big bass it is fight on and lots of fun. Wether live lining eels or bait fish this is a go to stick. I loaned my CGBT 841 MH to a fellow Capt that I worked with quite a few years ago. I have not seen the rod since, ha, ha! He uses it for the bass at Montauk Point and other places. I finally told him to keep it.

I have been told that knowledgeable anglers use this blank/rod for big groupers down south.

Unfortunately many of my customers prefer the CGBT 841M. This blank is smaller in diameter, does look and feel smaller and has a more linear flex to it. It does the job well but I feel that the tip is not as sensitive.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: February 21, 2012 03:58PM

I was might tempted Capt when you were trying to obtain the 3-pc version. Every tri-flex I have touched is....well lets say conservatively rated. I just finished up four of the TXC841M's (price was right). They are rated 15-30 (I think). I bet you could fish 40# no problem.

The GCBT series are just what I was talking about for a quick lockup blank with serious lifting power. The calstar and seekers are probably a lot kinder to your blank with a big tuna but man those tri-flexs move fish.

Just curious, have you ever seen a tri-flex break from fishing? They are funny to static test. They lock up so fast and hardly bend afterwards so never really know how far you could push them.

Mutton are the equal of tog for my waters. Highly prized for the great eating, top out at 20 pounds, you catch them on 15#, but can be very finicky. Like you I'm going to a stiffer blank. Going to try a st. croix musky blank. Nice and light in weight. I think a 40# grouper would snap it in half despite the 36-80# rating

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: February 21, 2012 04:30PM

Hi Russ,

Just heard of the first for me Tri flex breakages. The angler lost about a foot off the tip when he swung a fish and wacked the rod against the boat T top. Definitely not a blank failure.

I have been building on the CTS blanks from New Zealand. WOW!!! We have not found the bottom of these blanks yet. The @#$%& series I am using for boat bottom fishing and they are available in the US of A. I also ordered their Elite Series, top shelf, sight unseen, and was not disappointed! The ES's have to be ordered special.

The @#$%& 704, 30# class, is probably good for big mutton. The tip is needs a 10 oz sinker to load it and hook a fish. That is just my opinion. I will say this. Yes, these blanks are expensive but they are strong and the sensitivity is something I have never experienced before. I am feeling stuff before the fish hits the hook.

If I was fishing with you I would probably use the @#$%& 703, 25# class, because it would be more fun.

I doubt if a 40# grouper would break the @#$%& 705, 50# class. I bet the @#$%& 704 would handle the fish but then I have never seen the fish you hook/catch.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster