I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Drop Shot Hook Keeper?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 19, 2012 09:37AM

What's the best DS hook keeper? I don't like the short - more open style, as any slack and your rig can fall out. I used to use the Pac Bay HLS, but they have been discontinued.

Any others that work well?

Thanks!

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Drop Shot Hook Keeper?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 19, 2012 10:17AM

Some of the bigger Pac Bay dealers probably still have some, try Scheider's Rod Shop.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2012 11:23AM

Marc,

I agree with your criticism of the short DS hook keepers. I have started using these DS Hook keepers on my last 4 DS Rod builds:

[www.mudhole.com]

I don't think they are made for use as a DS Hook Keeper specifically; but, I like them a lot better, as the weight doesn't drop out of the keeper. I have asked my customers how they like them and they all said they work great!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 11:26AM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: February 20, 2012 10:01AM

you may be able to find what you want here [www.reeltimedesigns.com]

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 20, 2012 10:25AM

I make my own similar to what is shown in the link Charles provided.
I use the stainless steel wire used to make inline spinners like a Blue Fox etc.
I make them to stand a little more proud than that so i can marble or feather under them , after epoxt/urethane has cured i can close them down somewhat.
Cost is about 45 seconds of time and about 10c in materials. Use an anvil and big hammer and flatten the end that you wrap and it sits easier and more securely than the round legs do. If not flattened they tend to twist when you are wrapping them.

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: February 20, 2012 04:00PM

I too have been making my own as of late. I use Malin Hard-Wire Stainless Steel Leader, as I have it on hand from making prop baits and crank baits... Get some good round nose pliers or if you already have a wire bender great. A hardened steel punch will make flattening the ends much easier or you can cut the excess off after flattening if your worried about your fingers. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster