I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

THREADMASTER ONE 1Part Thread Finish Available to ICRBE attendies
Posted by: Scott D parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2012 02:10PM

Since the talk and excitement at last years show about a 1part Water based thread finish, We have been working very hard to make something availalbe. I am happy to say that available at the ICRBE show this year will be sample bottles of THREADMASTER ONE. It is a 1 part water based finish, Non-yellowing w/ UV inhibitors, it is tougher then regular 2 part thread epoxy (meaning it is more scuff resistant), more flexable and best of all it is water clean up. It is different then regular thread epoxy and will take a little getting used to. Before the show next weekend I will have some suggested application techniques up on the Roddancer web site. There are limited number of sample bottles available. If after the show there are any left I will make them available to any and all who want them until they run out. For right now they are only available to those attending the show. We look forward to seeing ya'll there.
Thanks
Scott

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: THREADMASTER ONE 1Part Thread Finish Available to ICRBE attendies
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 03:12PM

Glad to see that Threadmaster ONE is finally one step closer to coming about. I was honored to be part of the experimentation phase of the evolution and we had some hiccups through the process, but the product that Rod Dancer has come out with will be a hit, I am sure! The application process is virtually the same but since it is not movable with a flame, the removal of what few bubbles there are, is easy and the end results will be beautiful, GUARANTEED! If you are coming to the show, del free to grab your sample and if you have any questions, I will be there to answer them for you!

Here are some observations with the initial tests:
Regardless of how thick it is applied, it dries to a consistent thickness, therefor, multiple coats are recommended.
When applied to nylon thread, there was little to NO darkening of thread color. CP is not really necessary any longer.
The only bubbles present were from finish soaking into the thread and forcing air out.A coffee straw removed bubbles with little effort.

Kevin Knox

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 04:33PM by kevin knox.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 03:38PM

heck

I love threadMaster

I will pay shipping If you send me a sample
Can't make the show

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lindsay PELLETIER (---.w90-18.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: February 18, 2012 05:29PM

Hello,

Compare to 2 part Threadmaster, Lumiseal, and Rod Dancer rod varnish (also water based), how is your new product in terms of toughness, durability, flexibility, cure, etc ?
Also, this new product is good as Lumiseal for blank coating ?

Thank you.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 06:14PM

Are you the one-part requires no mixing?
That would be great.
Bruce

Date: February 18, 2012 08:14PM

Compared to all 2 part epoxies, this product is more flexable, and more withstanding to scuffs and scratches. The cure time is about the same, full cure is 72 hours. There is no mixing, pour it out of the bottle and use it and it cleans up with water. it is too thick to be used as a blank coating.

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: February 20, 2012 07:09AM

Is this totally amine free and safe for those sensitive to epoxy?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: February 20, 2012 07:51AM

Yes this should give you no problem if you are sensitive to epoxy.
Thanks
Scott

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]

Date: February 20, 2012 08:18AM

What about Adhesion does it stick well and not be able to be taken off with a thumb nail

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 20, 2012 08:26AM

Correct Bill, and the leveling properties of this epoxy are outstanding!

Kevin Knox
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Date: February 20, 2012 08:30AM

just thought of some thing else

Will it set in the container and will the top get stuck on

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 08:31AM by bill boettcher.

Date: February 20, 2012 10:11AM

No as long as the lid is put back on.

Kevin Knox
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 10:35AM

Do you have an estimeated time frame for when it will be on the shelf for sale? Can this be cut with water or anything else to make it thinner? Would you classify this as a lite medium or heavy build? Thanks for any info.

Date: February 20, 2012 04:15PM

If this goes to market will depend on the response from the sample set, it is not something to be cut to make thinner, it comes out with the thickness of a high build but since it is water based there is some evaporation when applied so it would probably be classified as a light to medium build once it has set up. it does take at least 2 coats to get a good coating.
Thanks
Scott

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2012 04:20PM

I think the key to developing a good, 1-part, water based coating is to have something that requires no more than perhaps 2 coats to get the depth of a high build epoxy. The reason Trondak didn't release their similar coating after last year's introduction at the Expo is that most of the builders who saw it said they didn't want something that would require them to apply 5 or 6 coats. It was a great product, but didn't resolve the issue of being able to get the job done in just 1 or 2 coats.

So in this case, I'd say a 1-part coating with the viscosity of a light to medium build epoxy would be fantastic.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 06:53PM

I dunno. Most alternatives to epoxy are going to need a few coats. For those of us in humid areas permagloss can be difficult in terms of working time and storage. I would welcome a product closer to permagloss's performance (but not smell) yet with the properties more akin to an epoxy. If re-coat time was under an hour or two, needing a few coats wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I'd like tough, clear, non-yellowing, and flexible......I'd also like to know I could cut off a guide years later and replace it like I can with epoxy. Permagloss can be trying in that regards.

As far as depth...personaly I hate the thickness of most commercial wraps and won't the minimum required to adequately seal and protect the guide wraps. Anything more is added weight for the sake of looks and I can do without that.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: February 21, 2012 12:40AM

I would love to see this new finish!! Sounds awesome. I do hope it makes it into production.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster