I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

saltwater fly rod
Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 05:26PM

Looking for suggestions on a blank. I am going to build a saltwater fly rod specifically for casting 27'-28' t-14 head with a mono or intermediate running line, and a compact spey head with a sink tip on a floating running line. I'm thinking nine weight. Blanks I am considering are RX8, MHX, PacBay quickline, possibly Dan Craft and CTS. Also, where do you get CTS blanks?

Greg

Greg
Aptos, CA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: saltwater fly rod
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 05:48PM

I've built the RX8, MHX, and Quickline all in 8 weight so not sure if it's directly applicable.

But, of the 3, the RX8 is the most powerful. I also like the way it casts a 30' 350gm sink tip better than the others. It's a fast , quick recovering rod with lots of reserve power. It's a great blank for the $$ spent. I have to say that the RX8 was a better blank than I expected and since I built mine, I built 1 for my brother and 1 for a friend.

The MHx is a very nice rod, not quite as fast but lighter. Feels more like an "all around" flyrod. For me it did better with a 300gm sink tip than the 350gm. The action is similar to a Z Axis that I have.

The Quickline I've not yet fished, but it feels a lot like the MHx when casting and I wouldn't be surprised if they came out of the same factory. It has a great glossy finish if that's a priority. Donart has them for a very good price if that's the direction you go.

Good question about the CTS. I'd like to build one just to see what the fuss is all about.

Drew

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.sub-174-234-7.myvzw.com)
Date: February 17, 2012 06:15PM

May be that a 9 wt quickline or MHX has the power of the 8 wt rx8. 27 ft of t14 is about 375 grains.

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 07:14PM

You might to look into Temple Fork Outfitters Axiom series of rods. Very powerful blank for the line weights.

Dave

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 11:55PM

I have an order in with CTS now - if anyone wants they can piggy-back on my shipping from NZ. Expect delivery in about 4 wks.
Any interest email me to discuss details.
I have owned - or own - or wiggled - just about every CTS fly blank. So I might be of some help.
hladen@hotmail.com
Herb

Posted by: Jon conner (---.burl.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 09:37AM

I've built three CTS fly rods in the last few months, I think they're on a different level than anything else I've tried, I would strongly recommend getting in touch with Herb.
JC

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2012 01:45PM

I'd go with the CTS also, I have built on a bunch of the Affinity X blanks. Just finished a CTS Affinity X 908-4, rod has a ton of power, easily launches a 350 grain Cortland QD line. Also very pleasurable caster with a Cortland Bass Taper in 8wt. I've owned and cast a bunch of other high end 8wts, and this one is the best so far. CTS seems to have their Mo Jo dialed in on designing blank tapers.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 03:32PM

Alright now I am considering the shipping issues I hadn't really thought out before. If someone breaks a tip, it's going to be a long, expensive wait for a repair on the CTS versus shipping from Washington state, and repair is something people ask about. Batson has helped me out on a broken rod tip replacement, not a warranty issue because the angler (me) broke the rod. Anyone have experience with service at Dan Craft?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 03:49PM

I Haven't spoken or dealt with Dan in a few years - but he was always great to deal with. I am pretty sure that the FT line of blanks are pretty much standard fare - so to replace a section is easy. Again - my experience goes back 5-6 yrs. Dan's FT's are almost to the performance level of CTS "X" series - but not quite. They are heavier and not as lively - but nice. Interesting that my favorte Dan Craft blank is his FT #7. It has to be overlined - maybe to a #9 line. The CTS #7 "X" blank is also one of my favorites and has to be overlined.
To replace a section on a CTS blank I always find it best to ship mating sections to them so the ferrule match is perfect. but I have had to do that with Sage also. Gatti is another matter because of duty going back to Italy. So gatti wants you to measure ferrules and he ships a new section - not the best scenarioio. I have been there.

CTS charges $35 to replace a section plus shipping - if memory serves. I usually wait for one of my orders to have them ship the sections back to me. I have only broken two rod sections with a CTS - once when I hooked a big piece of seaweed on my forward cast (hauling) with a 7wt - and the other I fell over the blank while I was building it. They are very strong blanks - the ferrules don't even have to be wrapped. Gatti, on other handhand - needs 15mm minimum on all female ferrules.

Won't go wrong with a Dan Craft blank - nor with a CTS. Side-by-side though - the CTS has it.

Also nice part about CTS is that one can custom make a blank - so "one-offs" are easy to do. There was a time that I could not load a #10 rod for casting all day. So I had CTS build me a few different models in 9.5wt. Also nice with CTS is that all blanks have 57msi graphite blend and they adjust the action with taper and wall thickness. They do not have "price-point" blanks with 33 or 44msi.

Regards,
Herb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 03:52PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 04:00PM

Herb, thank you very much for your very helpfull input.

Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster