I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow Blanks
Posted by: Brad Karczewski (---.knology.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 11:41AM

Upon fishing my my MHX the last few nights I am now starting to get a good feel for it in different casting situations. That blank is really nice! I built a five for saltwater and my buddy now has a 7 wt. that is another amazing casting rod. My question is just out of curiosity for now and future reference. Which Rainshadow blank is closest to the MHX as far as response and stiffness goes. I have already decided that I am going to build my next rod on the MHX but the RX8 sounds pretty tempting by the description. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow Blanks
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.217.---)
Date: February 17, 2012 03:27PM

I am not familiar with MHX blanks, but the Rainshadow RX 8 travel 8 wt is a sweet fly blank. I really like how it travels and don't believe there is a sacrifice , exc for minor weight, in using 4 piece fly blanks in the modern graphite blanks.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: February 17, 2012 04:11PM

I can't say enough good things about the MHX 5wt. MHX is must faster than Rainshadow RX7, but I don't know about RX8.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 04:16PM

Did you put them on the CCS and gave them numbers ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Denis Tessmann (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 12:34AM

I've got numbers for an RX7 9' 5wt 2pc. EFR 4.9 AA 60. Was having trouble casting distance with it so did the no's. Ordered a 4wt line for it, should be good.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: February 18, 2012 12:59AM

I cannot comment on MHX blanks, I have never tied or fished one. However I have built and fished quite a few RX7 and RX8s of the same length, line and weight specs. There is a significant difference in the RX7 and RX8. I am speaking specifically about Bass rods. The RX7 is a good blank, so is their RX6, but the RX8 has more sensitivity and is lighter. Batson has added quite a few blanks types to the RX8 during the last 18 months. Nice blanks!

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-220-56.myvzw.com)
Date: February 18, 2012 01:19PM

I have been building fly rods for quite some time and my wife is dumbfounded when she sees my lineup in the rod room, To date I have been able to convice her I have to have a large used selection to show customers. It's a lie, I'm a rod addict. I fish a RX8+ in a 5 wt. for trout. It is fast, responsive, and fast to recover. I LOVE IT. I have Sage, Winston, T&T etc. for the money the Rainshadow RX8 in my choise. I have a couple MHX in a 5 and 6 wt. I like them and feel that they are a little more forgiving when casting and would be great for those who are at a intermiediate level and want to stay out of the brush. I am simply saying ( or saying in a complicated manner ) that you can't go wrong with the Rainshadow.

Posted by: Nkrumah Morgan (192.189.128.---)
Date: February 18, 2012 01:50PM

Douglas Webb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To date I have been able to convice her I have to have a large used selection to show customers. It's a lie, I'm a rod addict.

At least you are honest.... ROFL

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 02:02PM

Don't ever tell her what the Sage - T & T and the Winston cost

You will be sleeping in your Rod Room

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Brad Karczewski (---.knology.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 07:29AM

Thanks for all the info. My computer has been down for a couple of days so I just saw the replies. Sounds like an RX8 might just be my next blank to try out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster