I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Waterslide Decal help!!
Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 08:26PM

Last year I bought some laser waterslide decal paper with a Randy Parpart dvd from @#$%&. Used it on a Dan Craft blank (color was like a light gray) and was very happy! Built a fly rod for my neighbor using a blue forecast blank this year. Applied a decal over a base of epoxy and could not see the lettering on the decal. Tried it on a Mud Hole MHX blank, color is slate, and could not see it either. Thought I would be real smart and bought a color laser printer. No matter what color I make the lettering on the decal for the MHX blank it is still hardly visible!. It is as if the color from the blank is showing through the lettering. I could put a base of thread down first, epoxy, decal then another layer of epoxy but I don't want to go that route. Any thoughts or ideas would be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Waterslide Decal help!!
Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.sub-75-219-245.myvzw.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 09:32PM

I gave up on trying to letter with waterslide and inkjet printers...Ink is too opaque. It can be done but I dont like the results. I bought a Cricut cutter used for scrapbooking. I use graphics quality vinyl and it works good. The machine makes die cut leters down to 1/4". I would like to find a better font program but haven't found one yet. Colors are endless, even chrome vinyl is pretty cool looking, woodgrain, metalics in all colors.

Date: February 17, 2012 05:46AM

Thanks for your input Jim but after buying a new laser printer that I will probable only use for this one project I was hoping for something else. I have used a Brother P-Touch before but don't like the results. Decal connection is nice but everyone seams to like their own name on the rod (more personal) and not everyone has the same name!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 07:57AM

Don I can help - click on my name and send me an email.

Posted by: Jeff Frei (12.213.112.---)
Date: February 17, 2012 08:01AM

I've had the same problem with an inkjet waterslide decal on a dark rod, so my next step is going to be to try using white waterslide paper and coloring the background to closely match the rod. If this doesn't work, I'll continue to wrap a light colored area for the decal. Good luck.

Date: February 17, 2012 08:50AM

Jeff I tried coloring the background the same as the rod and I can tell you that it doesn't work, at least on a laser printer.

Posted by: Jeff Frei (67.54.176.---)
Date: February 17, 2012 08:52AM

did you use white or clear waterslide?

Date: February 17, 2012 10:26AM

Clear, I don't like the white background. I prefer the blank color to be the background and I know that this is part of my problem.

Posted by: Adam Fisher (208.251.203.---)
Date: February 17, 2012 03:15PM

Don, I sent you an e-mail. I wasn't sure about posting about products not sold buy the forums sponsors.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 08:20PM

Not clear on your Decal Connection comment? You can order custom decals with any name you want on it! Also, an amazing collection of fonts are available. I find that using their decals in white or gold or Silver, they really stand out on the blank regardless of blank color.

Posted by: Brent Holland (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 12:44AM

I've never done waterslide transfers on fishing rods, but would like to. Where can I purchase materials & instructions, or a kit to pursue this?

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---)
Date: July 09, 2023 12:15AM

Hi Don, I sell the EPSON line of printers. We have over 900 printers sold to rod builders. If you want, I can mail you samples from the printers for you to test or you can ask on this site what they think of our labels and printer.

Larry Tobin
LRT Group, Inc.
www.lrtgroup.com
larry@lrtgroup.com
954-257-6224

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 09, 2023 10:24AM

Don, I suggest you accept the samples Larry is willing to send you and see for your self what an EPSON printer can do. At lest check out his website.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: July 09, 2023 12:24PM

Also not clear on your comments regarding Decal connection, They can do individual decals for a rod. I always use them and put the customers name on each rod.

The lines on my decals are line 1) CUSTOM BUILT FOR. line 2) customers name, line 3) rod specs. (each of these are different font)

As mentioned above they have lots of fonts and choices of type color.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: July 09, 2023 10:48PM

Just Curious, is Randy Parpart still around?

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.138.184.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 10, 2023 09:15AM

FYI...Dons post is from 2012.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster