I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

American Tackle "Bushido" blanks
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 12:35PM

"Bushido" blanks - has anyone built on them & will MudHole have a few at the ICRBE

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: American Tackle "Bushido" blanks
Posted by: Michael Hinton (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 01:53PM

Ken, I built myself a heavy bottom rod on the BP86600 using a spiral wrap and Virtus Heavy guides. I put an AVET two speed reel on it and the thing is a beast. That is "beast" in a good way. I know we are going to have a display rack at the show with all of the Bushido jigging and popping blanks. I can't say for sure what Mudhole will have available there.

Mick Hinton
American Tackle Co.

MIck Hinton
American Tackle Co.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 04:21PM

Ken, I have 3 of them here in my shop, and have seen a TON of them. WHat is i tthat you want to know about them?

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 08:04PM

Jesus. Maybe if you would come over here and pick up those stripper....um, striper patterns, you would see them!

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Date: February 17, 2012 09:27AM

A couple of customers have asked me to build on them - apparently quite the 'buzz' with one group of friends fishing off shore NJ. Up to this time I've built them several rods - but mostly light bottom fishing (3-5oz terminal tackle) / drifting. Now a couple of them want to move into jigging (more active angler participation) - and a one-time favorite technique on the wrecks around Long Branch - south to the mouth of the Delaware Bay. When I was (much) younger my dad and I used to sling sting slivers (really drop them) rigged with an additional weight on a dropper along the wrecks. These folks want to try the same thing. What they're looking for is a light weight / responsive tip rod with backbone to turn fish away from the wrecks - and yes, Avet two speeds will be used on them

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 07:39AM

Ken,
Lets talk next week. I want to also show you the Phenix blanks. Night and day difference. For once, I can bring something to the table besides questions.

Kevin

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Date: February 18, 2012 12:42PM

I'll be "trolling" to compare Seeker, AmTak and Phenix blanks next week. I've got outstanding work orders for a couple dozen rods before the wx breaks

Posted by: Tom Locke (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 01:00PM

Are you guys comfortable using the AmTak Virtus Heavy guides spiral wrapped for super heavy jigging applications? Like 30+ pounds of drag application for bluefins? Are you using the Ti or SS guides? Which Avet reels are these rods for? Thanks.

Date: February 18, 2012 02:53PM

Tom
The rods I've been asked to build are light jigging rods to be used more "inshore" than "off shore" 40-60 feet of water pumping sting silvers so the Avets are MXL two speeds and will not apply anything close to 30+ lbs of drag. As for the AmTak guides either the SS or Ti frames will hold up. As a personal matter I prefer the Ti frames. The guides are rated to 80 lb LINE. Spiral wrapped I foresee no issues cranking 30+ lbs of DRAG

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 07:01PM

I have used the virtus lites up to 40# class. Good value. Plan on spending a little effort bending so feet sit right on the blank. That is my only complaint. I have only used the 316 SS ones. My one foray into titanium guides ended when a package arrived that the post man must have done a mexican hat dance on. Even tubes on tip tops were crimped.

Pet peeve. I wish people would talk line class rather than pounds of drag. What line would you use for 30 pounds of drag? To me, that drag settings suggests you are into130 #/unlimited class and aftco/winthrop territory for guides.

Love my avets but for tuna 300 pounds and over I'd think more like international's and tiagra's.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Locke (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 11:41PM

Yes, 130# line on an Avet HX Raptor. I am looking for a light weight (relatively) setup for jigging tuna. So no rollers. My Calstar trolling/live bait standup rod has the Aftcos. Off Cape Cod we can run into 300+ pound fish so I need to be prepared. Good to hear the AmTaks are up to the task. I have been looking to build with them for a while now. Now I need to decide on the blank; Phenix Titan jigging 500G, Spinal Series 2 500G, Synit Venom V550F, Synit Tuna Pro 500, AmTak Bushido 500G or JM 3 Kings Special 53-H. But that's for another post.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2012 10:28AM

Virtus Heavy Titqnium no problem, I had Seeker use those on teh Hercules Factory rods. They are comparable to teh HNSG's form Fuji which are discontinued, the Amtaks come inblak & chrome frames, 2 types of rings/price points, as well as Titanium - so you have 5 choices. Prices range form about $22 for a set up to $80. I have them all in stock, if you want to order give me a shout an dI'll hook you up: [northeastrodbuilders.com] < Amtak guide page

Posted by: jeremy pillon (---.subnet125-161-169.speedy.telkom.net.id)
Date: May 16, 2012 12:46AM

which one is the best for GT popping ? Bushido or phenix titan ??
thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster