I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Location Chart
Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: February 15, 2012 08:21PM

Recently purchased one of the Am. Tack. Guide Location Chart's for micros & concepts. Put my first rod on it (a 7 1/2' spinning rod) and came up w/ 11 concept guides needed. Seems like too many to me. But, it looks fine. It appears from the chart that really no matter what the action (arc) of your rod, it's going to show the need for more guides than the traditional length + 1 method. I was wondering if anyone else had tried this and may have seen similar results.
Thanks,
Todd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Location Chart
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2012 08:26PM

I don't use that many. You'll have to decide if you want to use more, or less. Try it both ways, test cast and see which feels and works best for you.

Date: February 15, 2012 08:38PM

Maybe just a ploy to sell more guides?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2012 09:01PM

Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps just a different theory on what's needed for line control. Best bet - try both ways and see which one appeals to you. Either will provide more than enough guides for adequate stress distribution.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 12:02AM

Try a simple Static Test and see if you need them all You may want to send the chart back

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.lbisat.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 09:02AM

I would certainly agree with the above advice. I load/static test my rods and as Tom said you ultimatly have to deal with your preferance. I have been building with micro guieds a little more lately and have found the commercial rods have a lot more guides then I find-or think you need, through my testing on a blank. I still use the length of rod +1 on most builds with standard guides. The charts are good for an initial idea of where to start and how many guides, But, than you adjust from there. To me it is always about how the rod handles the line and how is it casting.

Date: February 18, 2012 11:18AM

I guess I'm just a bit lazy. I have a CCS board set up in the garage where I can do static test. But, most of the rods I build are in the winter and I don't want to spend time in the cold.
I saw a static deflection tool for sale that would allow me to bring the testing inside. Probably give that a try.
Thanks

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 05:04PM

get an elictric heater

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster