I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Replacing a cork grip from the bottom of the rod
Posted by: Rob Grider (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 15, 2012 01:45PM

Are there any tricks to replacing a new pre formed half wells cork grip from the bottom of the base section? I realize that I would remove the present reel seat but of course the taper of the inlet of the new cork will not be as sweet as when putting on originally from the top down. Problem is there is some nice art work above the winding check that I wish not to disturb and that would prevent the new grip from going back on from the top of base section as done originally. If I just lather on a lot of rod bond to fill the void toward the top of the cork grip, will I be OK? Thanks for your insight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacing a cork grip from the bottom of the rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 15, 2012 01:55PM

Sure

ream to fit

Then with 1/4" tape make several arbors so to center the handle and make it fit snug
When it fits the way you want -- glue in place

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2012 01:58PM

Rob,
Very simple.
Use a pair of common pliers to chop up the old grip and peel the pieces off of the rod.
Use a heat gun to heat up the epoxy and a heavy knife held at 90 degrees to the blank to scrape off the heavy epoxy that is left on the blank.

Take the new grip and bore out the center of the new grip to be the same size as the largest size of the butt section of the rod. By the way, if the new grip has an integrated butt cap, bore the grip only to a bit before the butt cap so that you can use the integrated butt cap.

Then, take masking tape - I typically use 1/2 inch wide tape - and starting from any area where the blank starts to thin down, add tape wraps until the blank is the same size as the butt.
Then, leave about 1/16th inch gap - to allow epoxy to flow between the tape wraps to the blank - and do another wrap. Continue the tape wraps until you are up to the reel seat.

Mix up a good batch of slow drying epoxy - coat the inside of the grip, coat the rod blank, making sure that you have good epoxy penetrate down to the blank between the tape wraps.
Slip on the grip. Remove any excess epoxy with a paper towel and DNA as needed. Let dry and you will be good to go.

The entire job should take about 20 minutes.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 02:00PM by roger wilson.

Date: February 15, 2012 02:02PM

Also if you can turn the old grip so it is the arbor and bore the new one to fit You can just slide the new onto the old and glue

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 15, 2012 02:09PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also if you can turn the old grip so it is the
> arbor and bore the new one to fit You can just
> slide the new onto the old and glue

Exactly right!

Chuck

Date: February 15, 2012 04:29PM

yea

To bad i did not think of that on the first post Doooo

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 11:49PM

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. Will give it a go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster