I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank characteristic terminology question
Posted by: Kyle Unser (---.dluxlink.com)
Date: February 13, 2012 07:28PM

I've figured out that the speed of a blank refers ONLY to where the blank flexes. I always thought that the "faster" a rod was, the "stiffer" it would feel. While that may be true to some degree, it's perfectly possible to have an extra fast rod with a very limber tip - so while the rod flexes primarily in the top, it still won't feel "stiff."

I like a really "stiff" rod for certain applications, primarily in finesse fishing. For trout, I really like an ultra light broomstick for fishing small maribou jigs. It doesn't cast them quite as far, but it feels far more sensitive. Same goes for shakeyhead fishing and bottom bouncing in the rivers with various crayfish type lures (tubes, hula grubs, etc.) for smallmouth.

So, how is the stiffness of a rod described? Is it just the modulous of the graphite - the higher it is the stiffer it is?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank characteristic terminology question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2012 07:46PM

Speed is response and recovery time.

Action is where the rod initially flexes (all rods will flex into the butt area if loaded enough).

Power is more attuned to stiffness.

You can make a slow action, soft low power rod from the highest modulus graphite and you can make a super fast action, stiff powerful rod from bamboo. Action and power are independent of material used.

You can find references to all these terms, and maybe a hundred more, in the Rod Building Glossary on this website.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2012 08:46PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (78.96.23.---)
Date: February 14, 2012 04:30AM

Maybe it's time to use the term"speed" or "stiffness" more often..to introduce it deeper in the common everyday use.Will be easeier for everyone..for customer and buider also to understand each other.

And why not...the blank fabricants? ..Would be great to specify the speed (yeah I know, there is no way to quantify that , yet), of the blakns, in catalogs..The customer would choose with more ease..without seeing or having the blank in his hands. But this is just my fifty :)

Date: February 14, 2012 08:07AM

The CCF component of the Common Cents System provides a relative means for measuring rod "speed."

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2012 03:51PM

The more I use the CCS the more I like it as a starting point on determining which blank to use. The real missing component, which actually measures the dynamic properties of the blank is the CCF. Unfortunately, there is very little information on CCF rating for different blanks. Also, due to the way it is measured, there is a lot of room for error if you don't have the right equipment and know what you are doing. It would be so nice if there was a central measuring agency for CCS data, like a UL for rod blanks. It would require the blank manufacturers to come to some agreement on how to do it, but it would be soooo useful.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 14, 2012 04:59PM

I don't think rod manufacturers really want you to have that info. I'm sure it would greatly reduce the number of blanks you would have to buy to find the perfect one.

Recovery time, and just what it brings to the table, might be an even greyer area than sensitivity.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 14, 2012 06:15PM

Several years ago Orvis attempted a better approach measuring the point of rod flex.
This unfortunately fell on deaf ears and to my knowledge was orphaned.

Date: February 14, 2012 07:59PM

No, they still use it. It was called "Flex Index" and used a linear progression to assign a numerical value to the percent of rod flex from the tip back under a certain amount of load. Certainly better than the old "fast" "medium" and "slow" but still far short of the resolution offered by the CCS Action Angle.

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 15, 2012 04:33AM

Can anyone tell mw where I can learn about the Common Cents System?

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.credit-agricole.fr)
Date: February 15, 2012 07:33AM

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: February 15, 2012 03:11PM

You can get a pretty good idea of the relative speed, or response and recovery time with one simple number, the stiffness to weight ratio. So if you know the weight required for the standard deflection, divide that by the weight of the blank and that gives you a pretty good idea of how responsive the blank will be. It is not perfect, there are still other design related things that effect the blank, but it is an incredibly useful number to have when comparing different blanks.

Russell is right on about manufacturers not wanting you to have the info to make really good comparisons between their rods and the competition. They want to keep you in the family so when you need a rod for a different application you will stick with them. One of the latest trends in bass rods is no blank ratings at all just a sticker that lists the application like spinner baits, jerk baits, or Carolina Rigs.

Date: February 15, 2012 10:52PM

Few manufacturers even offer the weights of their blanks anymore.

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: February 16, 2012 09:33AM

Very true, and even if they did how much would we want to trust them, fortunately now a rodbuilder can buy a very accurate digital scale for very little money, I think last year at the show you could get one for $10. I always carry my scale with me to the show, I call it the no @#$%& device.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 06:24PM

Mike,
Do you feel that more can be achieved by dividing the blank into discreet sections and viewing the weight vs stiffness at each location ?
The blank taper can be generalized by taking measurements at various points and the weight and stiffness determined at those points.
I'm hoping to be able to calculate deflection thru dynamic acceleration of the blank with an assigned load at the tip.

At least that's the road I'm journeying.
Probably just another project.

Eugene Moore

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster