I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Child's first rod build
Posted by: norman schultz (---.ykwc.com)
Date: February 13, 2012 12:27PM

10 yr old child will build a nice steelhead graphite, in Loomis level for the blank. Father will buy all components and says he will most likely travel to Angler's Workshop to make the purchases. I am going to assist father's child in building the rod. I am a rod builder.

What would be advisable as far as length for this…short child…the rod of course will be used when he grows up to a higher height?

Please advise and what option we may look at for him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Child's first rod build
Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (198.182.55.---)
Date: February 13, 2012 12:50PM

If this was a fly rod and he was learning to cast I would let that process determine the rod length and weight. However since I think you want a rod for steelhead I need to know if this is fly fishing or spin fishing. In either case build the rod for the fish not the kid. G Loomis does not sell blanks anymore. If you want something from the USA look at Lamiglass (not the International line) or NFC blanks both are available from Anglers Workshop as is St Croix. If you don't care where the blank is made then Batson offers some great blanks for both spin and fly and nice prices. The RX7 line is very nice and a good price point.
Don't worry about the size of the kid but if he is learning to fly fish he should start on a 5 or 6 weight 8' rod until he gets the hang of it then move over to the 7/8 weight steelhead rod.

One more thought. If (big if) he is fly fishing for steelhead you could build him a fighting butt system that allows for a longer rear handle which will GREATLY aid him while fighting a steelhead with a fly reel and it could also allow him to use a spinning reel as well. This is what I did for my son and it would very well. In areas that were fly fishing only he used a fly reel otherwise a spinning reel.

Quinn

Posted by: norman schultz (---.ykwc.com)
Date: February 13, 2012 01:11PM

Thanks for input. I am sorry about not being more specific. It will be a spinning rod using a spinning reel per father and I discussion with his son. I do realize that Loomis is not building his named rods anymore but, apparently has North Fork Composites now. The father seems hot on Loomis rods but has indicated that others are worth taking a look at.

We originally started to talk drift rod but the son and father agreed the rod should be able to fish for trout as well and not restrict to just steelhead.

I would like to use very nice single foot guides in upper price range and stay away from CP on the thread finishing.

I am suggesting cork handle assembly of a graphite nature. They do want cork and ease of prep to secure the handle assembly.

I would like to find out more about the fighting butt system that allows fly reel or spinning reel use. Does it cast from a boat or stream side with spinning reel on appropriately?

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: February 13, 2012 01:40PM

Just my view, but I would stay away from high end blanks. Something inexpensive and "tough" would be appropriate and better for a 10 year old. 10 year olds do not take care of gear very well, and an IM6 rod is likely to hold up better to rough treatment.

The Batson RX6 DSS1024 or 1025 would be ideal for this,.or for a few more $$ the IST1024 or 1025.

NGC set up with good quality stainless guides would make a very nice rod totally appropriate for a 10 year old.

Drew

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: February 14, 2012 02:49AM

Basically any 8'6" blank up to 12lb line and casting max 3/4 oz. lures will fit the bill. I will second what "my distinguished predecessors" have said ;-) that IM6 will hold up better. Batson RX7, St.Croix SCII, MHX to name but a few, throw in a set of Fuji Alconite guides, maybe a complete handle assembly and you're done.
Cheers,
Michal

P.S. St.Croix SCII blanks are particularly nice for this sort of application and US-made on top of that

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2012 11:54PM

Norman,
A less expensive blank is the way to go for the first rod.

Be safe
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster