I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Preserver (Chromoseal)
Posted by: Neil Sanft (---.radianmi.com)
Date: February 13, 2012 10:12AM

I'm new to rod building and used color presever for the first time this weekend. After doing a dec wrap with Maderia thread i put on two coats of CP, let the first coat dry for about an hour then recoated. I followed the instructions on the bottle using it liberally - may have been my problem, used too much. When i woke up Sunday morning the dec wrap had bubbles all on top of the wrap, some may be a little white. Is there anything i can do to remove the bubbles at this time since i haven't put on rod finish yet? If i put another coat of CP on will the new coat help out with the bubbles blending the two coats together or just make it worse? ....i heard maybe to use a wet warm towel and rub it on the threads to remove some of the CP?

I would appreciate any help i can get.....thanks

Neil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Preserver (Chromoseal)
Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: February 13, 2012 02:30PM

Neil,
Chromaseal is a very robust resin and unlike other CP's once dried you cannot reactivate it with water. When you apply it liberally once it soaks in you should wick off the excess. You can try maybe using denatured alcohol to possibly fix your problem, I doubt another coat would work but you can also try that as well. Chromaseal is one of the best CP's on the market and does it's job very well and in this case too well.

Scott Parsons

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 13, 2012 04:11PM

Alcohol.

But, I suspect you will loose your wrap or put up with it being "imperfect" no matter what you do at this point.

I'd remove it and re-do the wrap....stinks.....but that is a perfect fix.

DR

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 13, 2012 10:09PM

Hi Neil,
I use a fair bit of Madeira and Chromaseal. I use enough cp to wet all the thread and do what Scott suggests, ie wick off the excess with a brush or tissue. You should also leave two hours between coats and let the last coat dry overnight before adding epoxy. I'm using three coats and don't get any problems with bubbles. Chromaseal works extremely well with Madeira thread and I get spool colours with my wraps. I find that Iso prophyl alcohol will get it off once it's dry so you cold try that but as suggested it may ruin your work.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Neil Sanft (---.radianmi.com)
Date: February 14, 2012 09:04AM

Results from testing last night to remove the bubbles:

The warm / hot towel method doesn't work on Chromoseal. Once it drys it doesn't come off! I went ahead and added another coat of Chromoseal to see if maybe the coats will blend in and remove the bubbles....negative that didn't work either.

Thanks for the replies.

Neil

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: February 15, 2012 03:51PM

My Chromaseal went white too. I put it in the bin. I've had enough of ruined threadwork.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.217.---)
Date: February 23, 2012 08:12AM

Using the recommended process of wicking off excess I have had no trouble with Chromaseal. My experience is leading me to do that with any CP, and to let coats dry longer than I used to, with last coat no less than overnight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster