I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Load testing a 13ft heaver 4 to 12 oz.
Posted by: joe ponzio (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2012 07:18AM

Using the method that Tom Kirkman describes for load testing,Does anyone know How much approx. weight will be needed to bend the blank to 90 degrees?
This is assuming that someone has done this before.
My second question : What is the best way to attach the line to the tip top when hanging the weight? Any special knot used that won't damage the tip top or put undue stress on it ?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Load testing a 13ft heaver 4 to 12 oz.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2012 07:26AM

Tie the weight to a hook of some sort and hang that from the tiptop ring. On a large braced top, you can hang from the pair of braces holding the ring.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 10, 2012 11:11AM

What I do is take some old fishing line (preferably heavy braid), and tie a knot to the tip top. Run a few feet of line from this, and then to the other end, tie a clip of some kind, something that will be strong enough to hold a fair amount of weight (I usually use big coastlock snaps). The line should be short enough so that the clip hangs a few feet off the ground.

Then, I start putting sinkers in the 3-6 oz. class onto the clip, one at a time, until I get the bend that I want. With this kind of heaver, you're going to need a lot of weight, probably something on the order of a pound and a half, or maybe even more, so make sure that the clip you use can handle this kind of weight.

A rod holder really helps with this, too. I have one that I clamp onto my work bench, that works great. If you have a boat, you could do this outside, with the rod in one of your gunwale rod holders, too.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2012 11:14AM

A bucket, filled with water is another good method for loading the rod. Makes it easy to load the rod in increments by simply pouring in more water.

Posted by: joe ponzio (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2012 05:00AM

OK ,Here 's what I did. I tied a nail knot at the base of the tip tube and blank with 100 lb seine twine (small dia. line). Nail knot won't slip under pressure. I then ran the line through the ring and made a 2 ft hang. Worked perfectly and didn't get in the way of the fishing line on the reel. In all it took close to 10 lbs of weight to get to 90 degrees. My homemade jig (PVC strapped to an old B&D Workmate with two legs folded under) started the rod off at 30 degrees so I had to flex it another 60.
Thanks for the info guys. It helped me to get creative.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster