I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kudos to Mudhole
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 10, 2012 03:21AM

Hi Gents,
I changed to Mudhole last year for reasons I'll keep to myself. Put in a couple of orders which I received in excellent time. The service from Todd and his staff was also extremely good. Meant to request a cattle dog with my last oder but I forgot. What arrived in the mail today?, a 2012 catalogue without being requested. I realise that to make money they've got to advertise their products to as many customers as possible and Tom has hit the nail on the head in the blog about the value of the written publications as there is still a lot of us "old farts" around that are not hooked on electronic media, this forum is one notable exception. It's still nice to get something that you didn't request. I was going fishing tonight but it's raining like you wouldn't beleive as well as a lot of thunder and lightning and I'm not sticking a piece of 10 foot graphite up in that so I've now got something to read. Looks like an excellent publication and it will probably cost me cash as there is bound to be stuff that I would like but haven't got in there.

After a quick look through the catalogue al I can say is you guys in the States are well and truly spoiled with the selection of components you've got and that's just from one supplier!!!
I know we can import the stuff but the postage takes the edge off it especially blanks. At least the Aussie dollar is very good against yours at the moment so it's a good time for the Aussies to get in on what you've got available

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2012 04:16AM by Col Chaseling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kudos to Mudhole
Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: February 10, 2012 05:50AM

The thing with Mudhole is that they have an outrageous policy as far as international shopping charges are concerned. On the other hand they are absolutely in a class of their own in terms of product range. An honest-to-God one stop shop. Whatever you need rodbuildingwise, they've got it. However the shopping charges - a minimum of $30 international. Damn!
Cheers,
Michal

Posted by: joe ponzio (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2012 06:55AM

I agree with Mike-the company is good but the shipping charges are way overpriced !

Posted by: Derek Rogers (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2012 07:02AM

Not too badly, but I do live in FL and tell them cheapest method

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: February 10, 2012 07:34AM

Lucky you ;-)
Mind you, I've bought from Mudhole several times. The service was always excellent and the products were all in stock. I was a very satisfied customer.
There is however the issue of shipping costs (international) since some months ago. The fly in the otherwise top notch ointment.
Cheers,
Michal

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2012 08:58AM

Due to the myriad difficulties of international shipping, many companies simply do not offer such a service at all.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2012 11:00AM

Mud Hole Custom Tackle has been working hard to provide competitive international shipping rates. International shipping is a complex situation due to the numbers of countries, duties, distance and package weight restrictions. Originally international customers had to contact us for an exact quote, this proved to be an inexact and cumbersome means of providing international shipping rates. About a year ago to simplify international shipping we implemented a flat rate international shipping program – based mainly on the law of averages with specific lower rates to Canada. This worked well until last month when the United States Postal Service raised its rates – considerable on international postage. Therefore we were forced to raise the flat rate program we just implemented. Our current international shipping rates can be viewed at:
[www.mudhole.com]

We value and appreciate our international customers and the realize the costs associated with ordering for us in the United States. Therefore we have already had meeting with several other international shipping solution providers and hope to have a new lower cost international shipping solution in place soon.

We thank you for your past patronage and look forward to servicing your custom tackle crafting needs in the future.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 10, 2012 11:06AM

My wife ships overseas at her work. I was shocked to hear what people have to pay to get things from the US. It's not just a MH thing.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: February 10, 2012 12:44PM

"Therefore we have already had meeting with several other international shipping solution providers and hope to have a new lower cost international shipping solution in place soon. " ... did I say something about excellent customer service?

I will certainly look forward to info on your new rates :-)
Thanks, guys
Cheers,
Michal

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.ldcz1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 10, 2012 11:18PM

I haven't ordered for six months but as another another ozi who received a surprise in the mail I really appreciate it and have already noticed a few items I purchase soon, I have to say I can browse but I'm never able to completely download the newer style of PDF catalogue.
Regards Charles

Posted by: Denis Tessmann (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: February 11, 2012 12:51AM

Mud Hole Custom Tackle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mud Hole Custom Tackle has been working hard to
> provide competitive international shipping rates.
> International shipping is a complex situation due
> to the numbers of countries, duties, distance and
> package weight restrictions. Originally
> international customers had to contact us for an
> exact quote, this proved to be an inexact and
> cumbersome means of providing international
> shipping rates. About a year ago to simplify
> international shipping we implemented a flat rate
> international shipping program – based mainly on
> the law of averages with specific lower rates to
> Canada. This worked well until last month when
> the United States Postal Service raised its rates
> – considerable on international postage.
> Therefore we were forced to raise the flat rate
> program we just implemented. Our current
> international shipping rates can be viewed at:
> [www.mudhole.com]
> ale#go7
>
> We value and appreciate our international
> customers and the realize the costs associated
> with ordering for us in the United States.
> Therefore we have already had meeting with several
> other international shipping solution providers
> and hope to have a new lower cost international
> shipping solution in place soon.
>
> We thank you for your past patronage and look
> forward to servicing your custom tackle crafting
> needs in the future.

If you want to keep your Canadian customers it won't be UPS. They kill Canadians on brokerage fees.

Posted by: Rod Carlson (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: February 11, 2012 01:03AM

I can second that, I wasn't expecting one either so pleasantly surprised
Thank You Mudhole great service. I'm in New Zealand so yes it's expensive. Although compared to some other vendors in the US the price is good value
UPS seems to be the heavyweight when it comes to high oversea's shipping rates ! And I must admit I've had a few shocks. Mudhole is the only vendor I buy from now. Maybe if we had wholesale prices it would kind of soften the blow a bit. Although these company's still need to make a profit. How about Mudhole opening a wholesale warehouse in NZ or Australia? Then you could tap into the Asian market also.. just a thought

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2012 01:13AM by Rod Carlson.

Posted by: Ashley Wright (---.lnk.telstra.net)
Date: February 11, 2012 11:01AM

Last year I spent in the order of $5000 on mudhole products. The postage I have paid is greater then 15% of the total purchase. That to me is unreasonable. I understand the dynamics of international postage and tend to think that UPS are cashing in on strong overseas currencies and the increased spending in the US by overseas clients that this leads too.

On postage I recently had a warranty claim from rod manufacturer in the US. They agreed to replace the rod at no expense with no questions asked, however the postage rate to Australia was astronomical. The company suggested they send it to mudhole and they could forward it on my next order. This is apparently against mudhole policy, and understandbly so, but a little disappointing.

I have started to move towards a company in NZ for my blanks that has very very respectable postage rates, thus making any warranty claims for clients less of an issue. I have been blown away by the quality of their products and their service.

Mudhole warehouse in Australia, nice idea.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns7.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 12, 2012 01:19AM

Hi Guys,
Never meant for this post to turn into an issue for shipping costs but you get what people think.
I'm sure the guys at Mudhole will take note and try to do something about it. International shipping costs are basically out of their control
A store in this neck of the woods would be great but you've still got to pay for it getting here and for them there would be taxes on top of that.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: February 12, 2012 03:23AM

I really don't have a problem with $30.00 shipping form the U.S. .just recently I ordered a small computer part from a company in Leichardt in Sydney to my home in Bundeena which is also in Sydney & the shipping was $10.00 & I just sent some DVDs to Port Macquarie $8.00. So for all the paper work that Mudhole would have to do & the distance involved I have no issues what so ever.

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Rod Carlson (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: February 12, 2012 01:43PM

I think the international shipping issue is with the respective Government agencies. New Zealand customs have outrageous import fee's. Something to take up with local MPs. But admit a few shipping Companies are creaming it! All businesses try their best but It's really out of their hands re- international shipping fee's, but Fed-Ex seem ok - but good on Mudhole for looking into it. They have a large national client base I'm sure, and to be fair would look after their own first and foremost. Last Year I bought some blanks and components from another vendor on the West Coast, thinking the shipping would be cheaper?! Well one blank they sent me through a miscommunication on their part (UPS) 1+ Blank $49 = $ 177 shipping ouch! then the rest of the order came a little later with the rest of the blanks $455.66 + shipping =$214.82! hand me the noose! An order of $265 +US$400 shipping? Unacceptable . So yes Mudhole are my only choice, If only they would stock Batson Enterprises components blanks etc.
Thank you Mudhole for some good business sense and integrity
MudHole down under, there would need to be a market for them. Any idea how many rod builders in this part of the world?

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 02:02PM by Rod Carlson.

Posted by: Dane Newman (---.wehi.edu.au)
Date: February 12, 2012 06:02PM

Mudhole's international postage on blanks is so much better than any other vendor in the US, so much so that I can't really justify ordering a blank from anywhere else. This is a pity, since there are some awesome blanks out there that MH don't stock (e.g. batson, united composites, etc). Yes, I could buy these other blanks locally, but the prices here in Oz are astronomical compared to the prices in the US.

However, when mudhole has to use the USPS route for smaller items, then yes, international postage becomes a big problem. But even then, the total price is still much more competitive than equivalent items bought locally.

As for the idea of a Mudhole in Oz, I think what we are really looking for is some realistic pricing in this country. For example, Seeker blank (aka Sabre Australia) + Aftco components bought locally ~$680, exact same gear bought from Mudhole ~$350, including postage. Even if our dollar drops way below the US, the locally bought components are still far too uncompetitive.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns7.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 12, 2012 07:23PM

Hi Dane,
That's what you get for living in a country that's a similar size to the US but has only got 25 million people and is a long way from most of the world. Places like Mudhole can get by with low profit margains because of the volume. Here it's the opposite, low volume and high profit margins otherwise they go broke so don't expect to see any realistic pricing. If Mudhole opened a store in Oz the prices would be considerably higher than what they are in the US and you wouldn't be able to buy from them in the US. They'd tell you to get it from the store in Oz.
Don't know about you but I wouldn't live anywhere else. If it cost you extra dollars then so be it.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster