I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LUMISEAL HELP
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 07:39PM

It Cant be that hard!! I stripped the blank with citristrip-no problem, painted the blank with Krylon Fusion Gloss-no problem, sprayed with Krylon Clear-3 Coats, no problem. Let cure 7 days. Poured some Lumiseal on cheesecloth as directions on bottle say, ran it up the blank twice and covered it with lint from the cheesecloth.....UGH!! Sanded off lint and bad finish, grabbed some coffee filters poured on the Lumiseal once up the rod once back and boogerede it up again. I have searched the forum to get all of the above technics, what am i doing wrong. How fast does this stuff set up, seconds.. Thinking i should have left alone with the Clear spray. can the Lumiseal drying time be slowed down. Need some help. Thanks for any and all input.

Very frustrated at the moment.

Jim Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LUMISEAL HELP
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 09, 2012 08:01PM

Hi Jim,
There's a good article by Tom Kirkman in Rodmaker issue 14-4 on applying moisture curing urethanes. Others will chime in as I don't have any experience with the stuff.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 08:58PM

Perhaps the lumiseal is eating up the krylon clear coat?... I use perma gloss (way "hotter" than lumiseal) applied with a small cheap foam brush over straight krylon with no issues.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 09:01PM

Why would you use both a clear coat and Lumiseal? Lumiseal is a "clear coat!" Always test when putting two different coatings, one on top the other!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2012 09:34PM

I'm guessing you don't take the magazine.

You have some incompatible products combined on that rod. If you intend to use Lumaseal, which has a pretty hot solvent in it, then use just that. If you want color, then you'll have to tint it (never will get it totally opaque, however).

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2012 09:51PM

I used Petri Gel Polyurethane over Krylon Fusion flat black and it came out fine. Let the paint dry for at least 4 days and then you wipe on the Petri Gel. It's not as "hot" as Lumaseal or Permagloss and gives a satin finish with 2 coats. It's normally for woodworking but works well on blanks. If you put clear over the color, you don't need anything else though.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Kern Davis (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 10:18PM

In my limited rod building experience with lumiseal, i stripped my rod down, painted with krylon fusion and applied lumiseal with cheap foam brush and had no issues. be sure you do it in an area that has no dust ,dirt, etc. I did mine in my 8 x10 shed covered floor with plastic sheeting with no shoes just socks on. Also hung sheeting from rafters, kind of made a crude paint booth setting so to say. Keep at it, great article in current issue on how to keep lumiseal/permagloss for long period of time.

Kern Davis, Lady Lake Fl.

Date: February 10, 2012 07:45AM

Thanks everyone for response. I put the lumiseal over the clear spray to make a harder finish. In my search on the forum i must have missed the part about appllying LS over a clear coat not working. I have read that clear coat is not very tough.

Tom, i just subscribed and 14-6 was my first copy. I thought i read here that it was ok to put LS over pianted blanks, (agian must have missed the LS over Clear thing) i bought LS because it is NOT as hot as PG.

The only technic i haven't tried yet is the foam brush. rod is a 2 piece and top half came out good. I will grab some foam brushes and try again. If that doesn't work i will strip it down again and start over with just Paint and Clear.

Garret, When you dip the brush do you saturate it, how many trips up the blank can you make and should the blank be turning.

I work outside in my garage, do you think the high humidity may be to much?

BTW just a dig at the northern guys, yes in my garage in february, doors open....come to sunny florida we need your money}

J Scott

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2012 09:00AM

There is no reason to have 2 clear coat products on your rod. In many cases, you can do everything (color and clear) in just one step with one product.

LumaSeal is a moisture curing urethane. The higher the humidity, the more quickly it will set.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 10, 2012 06:06PM

Maybe it's the cheesecloth I bought, but I got lint in the finish when I used it too. This was on a bare graphite blank.

Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.lightspeed.tmblct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 12, 2012 04:50PM

Cheese cloth is only (nearly) lint free AFTER it has been washed, not right out of the package. But washing it is a pain. Try blue shop towels. Low lint, and no, the blue color doesn't bleed. But as with every product or technique that you haven't used a number of times before, always test on some scrap material

Date: February 13, 2012 06:20AM

Well, stripped the blank back down to fiberglass yesterday. 3 new coats of Krylon Fusion. I want to use the Lumiseal as a clear because it is harder and will last longer than spray acrylic (correct me if i am wrong). I plan on letting the paint cure untel next weekend.
Then i will try the foam brush application. How many coats?
I may be a newbie in building rods but becoming a master at stripping them. LOL

That comment about the warm sunny weather in florida jinxed me. Its in the 30's this morning.

Have a great day.
JS

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 13, 2012 08:37AM

Why three coats i have used that stuff and it is really thick
One -- maybe two coats and then clear Less weight

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 14, 2012 06:20AM

Hi Bill,
Blue over Black,Took 2 coats to cover plus one for good measure. Would you use Lumiseal or Krylon Clear spray. I have read you use 2 part Klassic Kote? but that is not on my budget.
JS

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 14, 2012 12:46PM

lumiseal
if you can get one nice dust free coat Drys quick and real hard
There is a learning curve to these finishes So practice on some scrap

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 14, 2012 06:56PM

Busy striping down a crap rod now so i have something to practice on. Thanks Bill.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster