I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hand wrapping/Rod drying help
Posted by: Nick Trombley (---.dr01.wyng.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 06:44PM

Hello! I am just getting started building rods and was wondering if I can run a few questions by you guys. I actually intended to start a few years ago but having been a college student and working, I was a little short on time and money (still a little short on the money). I'm finally in a position to pusue this and I can't wait to get started!

I am in the process of gathering everything I need to start building on my own. I was wondering if you guys might have any ideas for me on how to get my hands on a cheap rod dryer and/or hand wrapping station. I was thinking about just building the hand wrapping station. It looks straight-forward enough but don't want to get in over my head if there is something I'm missing. I've pretty much resigned myself to buying the rod dryer as motors have never been my thing. If you guys have any advice, I would love to hear it!

I am loving any and all information I can get my hands on right now. I've purchased Tom Kirkman's book and have been lurking on the site here for a couple months trying to catch up. Are there any other websites or sources for info on specific issues that would be good for a beginner? Frankly, a lot of the topics on here go well over my head but seems like a great group of guys on here and I'm hoping to catch on fast.

Thanks again for the help!

Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hand wrapping/Rod drying help
Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: February 09, 2012 07:18PM

I have the little motorised one with a single stand as avaiblable form Mudhole and it has been excellent. Never failed and it can be set up anywhere whee youhave a power outlet.
Happy drying!!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 08:11PM

Nick,
You can easily make a hand wrapper out of a cardboard box for 0$.

Then, pick up a timer motor from a surplus store for $2. Make a stand and a chuck for it and you are set to go for $5.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 09:03PM

Nick, first thing is for you to unhide your email address. As the folks on this fourm might want to email you direct about a post you may have put up .
The second thing is for you to do is send me your mailing address . I will send you FREE OF CHARGE a fex coat hand wrapper with a American Tackle single rod dryer with motor . I also have a light and magnifier to attach to the hand wrapper .. Just click on my name and that will show you my email address for you to send me your mailing address .. This should get you started and well on your way to an addiction that you'll love and enjoy for years to come ..
Let me know : <<<<DON>>>>

<<<<DON>>>>
Fort Myers Fla.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 09:07PM

A hand wrapper doesn't need to be much more than a 1" by 4" with a V-notch cut into it mounted on a flat piece of wood so it stands up on its own. Make three or four of them. A 1" by 4" by 8' doesn't cost much. A few drywall screws, some wood glue, and some type of saw is all you need. Unless you are building salt water rods with long underwraps a hand wrapper is fine and often an advantage.

The time proven cheap thread tensioner is to put the spool of thread in a cup and run the thread through a phone book. Another nice way is to use a thread bobbin. Look at fly tieing equipment for them. Nice thing is they work well if you upgrade to a sewing machine motor with some office chair casters mounted on a 4" by 4".

You can scrounge a dryer motor from an old microwave, clock, record player, barbque spit, etc. A crutch tip works with a chuck if you use masking tape to build the rod butt up to its size. The 1" by 4" stands can be used with the motor. Or you can hand turn with perfect results as long as you understand you can't space out or fall asleep.

Honestly it doesn't take much to get started. The hard part is the courage to try. About the only thing I won't skimp on are mixing cups for the thread finish and syringes to measure it with. All the rest you already have. Spoons, knitting needles, finger nails, etc will pack and burnish and a razor blade and masking tape aren't hard to come by. Good light and magnification helps a lot but the young might not need it.

There are other web sites but none better. Most are places guys pat each other on the back for pretty work. Here we concentrate on the nuts and bolts of how to do things and make better rods. Pretty work and pats on the back are left for the photo section and is optional. I'd strongly suggest to forget looks and go stealth black on black for now. Black is easy to get perfect and can look stunning with minmal talent and effort.

I have one shamless plug for those on a budget. Go vist Utmost. They have fantastic blanks on closeout. You can buy stuff 25% on the dollar and the stuff used to be some of the best money could buy. They have allowed me to try things I never could have afforded to otherwise.

Last but not least. Notice I have my location in my tag line. You can add it through the control panel. Mostly this work is done by older guys that hate to think this craft will die. Many would love to find a young guy to take under their wing and pass the art on.

You will be fine and don't be afraid to ask dumb questions. A kit can be an easy way to start but it isn't the smartest buy. Frankly I'd suggest you start by stripping down a favorite old rod and re-building it. Doing so will teach you repair skills and prove to you that you can improve on a factory built rod.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.sub-75-241-73.myvzw.com)
Date: February 09, 2012 09:41PM

Take Don up on his offer, it doesnt get any better than that.
What a geat gesture to help a newbe out, Don!

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 10:58PM

Jim: This is how I got started some 22 years ago. It was laid upon my heart that it was time for me to start giving back before it's to late. I have yet to find a craft that is so generous in passing on the wealth of information and tools of the craft as the custom rod builders. I thank you all ever so much for your sharing and giving..
I want to thank Tom Kirkman for this well organized RodBuilding forum and his contribution to the craft..

<<<<DON>>>>
Fort Myers Fla.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2012 02:35PM

To date myself somewhat, I started building bamboo rods in my Dad's shop where there was no electricity and everything was done manually.

We used a rod wrapper made from wood. the tension device was a brush, and we dried the varnish evenly by turning the rod from time to time; again by hand.

We had a foot operated lathe and hand operated drill press. We also had a vast array of other woodworking tools.

You can build some really good rods by hand. I still do from time to time. C2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2012 02:37PM by Charlie Smoote.

Posted by: Kyle Unser (---.dsl.fyvlar.swbell.net)
Date: February 10, 2012 04:33PM

That's awesome of Don. I've only been at this for a little over a year, and I do all of my rods on a homemade stand with v-notched 1"x4"'s. I mounted those to a plate from the same board, then I screw those into the long part of the board that was left over so I can change their width if I want, but it's a very sturdy stand. I tension my threads with the Arkansas Court Rules. Generally wrap guides around page 600 and page 100 for tiger wraps.

I don't have a dryer. When I first started I feverishly turned the blank after applying finish. I find that I get a much more even coat if I turn it less though. After I first apply finish, I leave it as is until the finish sags. I scrape any big sags with a golf tee or credit card, run a lighter underneath it (no flame touching finish) to keep it liquid, then flip it 180 and everything evens out. I've found that I'll turn it very few times in the drying process, maybe 8-10. I use flexcoat and I guess it sets up fairly quickly. Maybe I'd get even better results out of a longer curing epoxy? Anyway, since I've started turning fewer times I've had really good results including smooth as glass finishes over long split-grip tiger wraps.

Date: February 11, 2012 10:19AM

Hey, thanks for all the great feedback! It sounds like I might have been overthinking some of this and some great ideas on here. I am on a break at work right now and tonight I will work on unhiding my email.

Don, that is an amazing gesture. I'd love to pay you for the wrapper but I'll send you an email tonight when I get off (about 10pm or so). Then I can read all the responses a little more indepth, as well.

Thanks again!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 11, 2012 03:37PM

Nick, when you get home, spend some time on the Photo Pages ( you have to register/log in separately, expecially the equipment sectio) That's an education in itself!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: February 12, 2012 12:13AM

Wow, again, thanks for all the great advice guys!

Russell, I appreciate the post and I'll try not to be scared to ask dumb questions - I'm full of them right now. Thanks for the heads-up on Utmost, too. I'll definitely be checking it out.

Don, I'm sending an email now.

All the rest of you's guys - thanks a million - more info than I could've dreamed of. I keep seeing guys post that this is an addiction and I'm starting to see how that could be the case.

Nick
(Forest Lake, MN)

Posted by: Brad Karczewski (---.knology.net)
Date: February 12, 2012 12:16AM

Donald Newenhouse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim: This is how I got started some 22 years ago.
> It was laid upon my heart that it was time for me
> to start giving back before it's to late. I have
> yet to find a craft that is so generous in passing
> on the wealth of information and tools of the
> craft as the custom rod builders. I thank you all
> ever so much for your sharing and giving..
> I want to thank Tom Kirkman for this well
> organized RodBuilding forum and his contribution
> to the craft..

One more reason why I am starting to really dig this stuff Good hobby with good people.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster