I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Michigan Pier Fishing
Posted by: Seth Holt (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 07, 2012 08:22PM

I have idea's about what makes a good Michigan Pier fishing rod. I am interested to hear other idea's. Please post your best idea's for this type of rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Michigan Pier Fishing
Posted by: Don Morse (99.150.139.---)
Date: February 07, 2012 10:58PM

what is your target species?

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2012 12:00AM

You are probably tossing 3/4 oz Little Cleos to Kings, Cohos, Browns, and Steelhead. If you're lucky, you might hook into a 20 pounder (Chinook). I used to fish the Milwaukee side, years ago, and I always wanted more distance. If I was building a rod today, for that purpose, I would check out the Batson IST 1025

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: February 08, 2012 10:33AM

I have a Lamiglas flyrod, 10'6" 8/9 WT blank I built spinning style in 1988 that I used for everything steelheading/salmon. It casted 3/8 oz Cleos a country mile, Used to use 3/8 slip sinkers and spawn with floats in the bag, put the rod in a holder, open the bail and stuck the line under a rubber band on the butt section. Bottom bounced spawn in the rivers. Used it two years ago with a borrowed centerpin reel to see if I wanted to pursue that method. It is a great all around rod. Never saw an advantage to those broom sticks a lot of people used to use on the piers. It sounded like somebody playing the washboard when they would cast that heavy line through the guides. I like the lighter action rod, lighter line and lighter lures. The first salmon I caught, 23lbs, was on a fiberglass 6'6" department store rod and 10lb test off the Frankfort pier in the early 80's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 01:29PM by JIM MOWL.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2012 10:41AM

I would use a 7' light action fast taper spin rod with 4-6 Lb. line 1/4 - 3/8 oz roostertails , silver spinner white tail , or blue/silver K-O or Lil' Cleo Spoons the slower retreive the better , hook 'em and hang on ! ! ! Good Luck ! Larry

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: February 08, 2012 12:26PM

From what is being said a hot shot rod sounds perfect.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2012 12:59PM

The principles of physics predict the longer the rod [until you run out of muscle] the greater the casting arc, thus the greater the speed at the end of the arc and the greater the speed the longer the cast. You must decide whether distance, portability, style or "feel" is your first priority. There are several nine, ten, and even eleven foot blanks with a "sweet spot" in the 3/4 - 1 ounce range.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 08, 2012 08:02PM

agree with russell. i only fish the piers in a boat... and for bass.... but do catch the occasional steelhead and salmon on purpose... i'd think 7'6" HS blank would be ideal for the peirs around here.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.153.---)
Date: February 09, 2012 06:25PM

Phil has it right, get the longest rod that will load correctly with the weight you want to cast. You don't want a noodle rod to cast the long distances that I think you are talking about with
"" Michigan piers." If you are to be casting 3/8 to 1 oz spoons or similar, the Batson 9 foot spin rod blanks will do it very well. Phil's explanation is correct as long as you understand that the rod has to have the power to make the tip accelerate properly with the weight of the lure. Noodle rods of long length, like 10-12 feet, will not do this with most lure weights. You have to understand the loading of the rod.

Posted by: Seth Holt (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 07:24PM

Thank you for your idea's. Yes this is Michigan Pier's and I typically use a noodle rod as I do fish from the Pier itself. 11, 6 is my prefered length. The reason for the length is because the Piers are typcally lined with large rocks and the extra lenght allows the ability to get over them. Shorter rods don't do this. I have used this type of rod for both small fish. Lake perch and such, and also for Steelhead and Lake trout. I have caught a few salmon as well on these types of rods. I use 4 pound test line with this rod as I find that the rod will take most of the action. LIke a shock absorber. It seems to work well for me. I am always considering possible better idea's and was interested in your suggestions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster