I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Starter Lathe
Posted by: Andy Stromsness (192.193.216.---)
Date: February 07, 2012 12:56PM

Any suggestions for an affordable wood lathe to start messing with building some handle pieces?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Starter Lathe
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: February 07, 2012 01:14PM

Any of the smaller bench top lathes are pretty good. Stay away from harbor freight. You need a solid machine with some weight behind it. Vibration is not your friend when turning.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 07, 2012 02:26PM

Penn State Industries has a good selection of Mini and Midi lathes, with and without the variable speed control.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2012 02:47PM

Andy,
Check out pawn shops, the on line @#$%& sites as well as used tool locations.
Many times you can pick up some used - very high quality pieces of equipment for very reasonable prices.

It is really much better to buy a used piece of quality gear; compared to buying a new piece of less quality gear.

Good luck
Roger

p.s.
Manyh of the home building big box stores have some starter lathes for very little money that will be more than sufficient to handle any of your handle turning needs.
Handle turning is very very light duty work for a lathe. So, you don't need a 500 lb lathe to turn beautiful handles.

Posted by: Robert Hudak (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 07, 2012 03:11PM

I use a Rikon Mini lathe and really like it.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: February 07, 2012 04:41PM

I also have a Rikon. Mine came with the variable speed option which is nice. If you are in the SE Michigan/Northern Ohio area I know where you can pick up a really nice full size Dunlap/Craftsman lathe for fairly cheap.

Date: February 07, 2012 05:01PM

Gary - I wish I was...SE South Dakota though. Thanks for the comment though.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 07, 2012 05:10PM

Do a Google search on laths Used and new

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2012 08:23PM

Many of the lathes in the $400 price range are so good, that it's almost unwise not to at least spend that much. If you spend much less, you're apt to be upgrading in short order. And if you do spend $400 on a lathe right at the outset, it's good enough that you may never need to upgrade.

Do be aware than you can easily drop another $200 on just a good chuck and a couple basic turning tools.

Now having said all this, if I was going to try and do this dirt cheap, I'd buy the Grizzly hobby lathe which connects to a power drill. It's not much of a lathe per se, but it'll get your beak wet for under $75.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.130.55.---)
Date: February 07, 2012 09:35PM

Here's the link to the grizzly lathe for the drill set up.

[www.grizzly.com]

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2012 10:11PM

I use a Grizzly drill powered lathe. It works just fine for me.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 08, 2012 10:43AM

Andy, I have a PSI TCLPROVS Turncrafter Pro VS Variable Speed Wood Lathe with an unused bed extension that I am thinking about selling. It has only been used to turn cork and foam.

I am in Alexandria, MN. Shoot me an email at chuck@woodsmenrods.com if interested.

Note: If you click on Control Center you can edit your profile and add/unhide your email address if desired. Then members can send you an email.

Chuck

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2012 11:28AM

The Turncrafter Pro is a solid starter lathe. I have one (belts, not variable) and it works great for turning cork, reel seats, handles, etc. If you can get the used one from Chuck (great name for a lathe guy) you will be a happy boy. Plan to spend around $200 for chucks, mandrels, etc. If you are going to turn any wood, you'll need turning tools, at least a spindle gouge, a parting tool and probably a skew chisel.

Happy turning.

Terry

Date: February 08, 2012 11:30AM

Turner ain't a bad name for a lathe guy either! ;)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2012 05:01PM

Enough with the mutual admiration already!!

Be safe and happy turnings!!

Roger

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 08, 2012 08:05PM

i've got about 150 bucks into my grizly benchtop with a 3 jaw chuck. nice unit and price is great. had mine for 3 years, no complaints.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Denis Tessmann (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 01:35AM

Grizzly has a good selection and most items have customer reviews on them. Seems there stuff is getting better all the time.

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 08:34AM

I have the Grizzly Hobby Lathe and it worked ok after a few modifications which were support issues. I bought a cheap drill which didn't run true and caused me some problems. Make sure you have a true running drill. Bill

Date: February 09, 2012 11:06AM

After some email communication with Andy I learned that he is interested in working with wood.

Date: February 09, 2012 12:17PM

Thanks for clairifying Chuck

Not just wood but really everything although wood is most intriguing to me at this point but I've been doing a lot of hard water rods so you don't have a lot of other things to mess with besides the handle. Thanks for the suggestions from everyone though!

Andy

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster