I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pro wrap
Posted by: Mike Hasbrouck (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2012 07:13PM

having trouble getting the pro wrap to lay without the ends fraying and looking terrible how do you start and finish this tpe of wrap to lay down without fraying

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pro wrap
Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: February 06, 2012 07:25PM

Are you talking metallic or regular thread? I am unimpressed with Prowrap metallics. The regular thread seems to be pretty good. I still miss Gudebrod.

Date: February 06, 2012 07:40PM

Metalic when I cut the end and try to put it down the ends tend to flair out I was thinking of tying a piece clear thread on the end when starting but when I'm done It still ends up with wild ends

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: February 06, 2012 10:03PM

It also spills off the spool and gets itself in an awful mess. Make a change, Mike.

Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2012 11:30PM

A few precautions when using pro wrap mettalics.

1. Never let the thread fly off the spool by anchoring the thread to the groove in the spool prior to cutting.

2. Before pulling the tag end through cut it until only about a half inch is left to pull through. Too long a tag and it will unravel. Also if you pull it under thread that is too tight you will pull the metal wrap off the threadcore.

I will be changing soon, but cant bring myself to discard new thread.

Good luck

Posted by: Derek Rogers (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2012 06:57AM

So I wasnt the only one that was having that de-spolling issue with the metalic thread. Another thing you can try ,that worked great for me, was pulling a loop through just large enough to keep my fingers away from the razor and cutting both ends of the loop.

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Date: February 07, 2012 10:58AM

Thanks for the help I was getting frustrated I haven't had that problem before I'll think twice before I buy any more of this type of thread

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: February 07, 2012 04:01PM

If you don't want to wait for more mail order metallic thread, the Sulky metallics from the fabric store works great and I actually prefer it even to the small stock of Gudebrod metallics I still have. The metallic coating on the thread itself stays put, and the thread itself seems plenty strong. It is just slightly smaller in diameter than Gudebrod if that matters to you.

Drew

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 07, 2012 05:13PM

Gudebrod

Several sponcers carry a good supply of it Check on the left

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 07, 2012 05:21PM

Mike

I use Sulky metallics about 80 pct. of the time (when I use metallics) - just because it's a lot less frustrating to use. I wouldn't trust it's strength for main wraps on guides, but it looks look just fine for trims & deco's!

Rog

Date: February 07, 2012 06:15PM

thanks I'll try the Sulky I've seen this an wondered if it would work. Most everything I build is for salt water so I use AorC thread for wrapping all the time. I'll try some of your ideas thanks for everyones help. tight lines

Posted by: russell mazza (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 07, 2012 09:43PM

I had the same problem .. the pro wrap metallic thread acted like a spring that was just released .. BOOOOUNG ...now i make sure it is tucked in the spool before i cut

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.177.26.242.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 08, 2012 08:45AM

IIRC, the Pac Bay and Fish Hawk metallics do this as well, but to varying degrees. The Robinson Anton J Metallics don't do this and are much easier to work, but they are more limited in color choices.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster