I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

writing above or under the blank.
Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.hdcz1.win.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 05, 2012 12:03AM

Hi All, Just finished a rod but I am about to use a lettering pen. Do most people prefer to write on top of the blank so its visible when fishing or do people prefer to add the writing uderneath where is not so visible.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: writing above or under the blank.
Posted by: Col Chaseling (121.216.109.---)
Date: February 05, 2012 01:32AM

Hi Bill,
I'd say put it wherever it look's best to you. I put all my decals etc on top, but it's up to you where you want to put it.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: February 05, 2012 02:03AM

Personally I write on the side so that I can see it when holding the rod to admire it, but then I build rods only for myself and have no need for any advertising/marketing effect. I guess it may be different, seen from the point of view of a professional rodbuilder.
Cheers,
Michal

Date: February 05, 2012 02:14AM

Thanks guys,

Tried it on top and it looks better than just having on the underside. Ive get to try a sample but is it ok put epoxy straight on top without any kind of sealer. I do have a Urethane spray that I can put on top if I need to. Im using hobby enable paint.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2012 08:04AM

Right hand side.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2012 02:44PM

Depends on amount of decals and placement options.

DR

Posted by: John Straight (---.netsync.net)
Date: February 05, 2012 08:28PM

Bill Jovanovski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks guys,
>
> Tried it on top and it looks better than just
> having on the underside. Ive get to try a sample
> but is it ok put epoxy straight on top without any
> kind of sealer. I do have a Urethane spray that I
> can put on top if I need to. Im using hobby enable
> paint.

Bill
If you let writting dry and cure (24 hr) sealer won't be necessary, but it won't hurt either. Put mine on Rt side, first line just above center.
John

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2012 08:32PM by John Straight.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2012 09:23PM

John,
I normally letter the rod, and coat the rod about 10 minutes later. Never have any issue.

Each type lettering compound is different so, be sure to test before trying on a rod that you are wrapping.

Roger

Date: February 05, 2012 09:48PM

roger,
I use calligraphy pen and metalic ink, if it dosen't cure it has wiped off when applying epoxzy.
John

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Date: February 05, 2012 09:49PM

roger,
I use calligraphy pen and metalic ink, if it dosen't cure it has wiped off when applying epoxy.
John

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Date: February 06, 2012 03:16AM

Thanks for the tips fellow builder. I decide to go with placing the lettering ( with a caligraphy pen) on top of the blank and now I am about to epoxy it up. I do like the idea of putting the decal on the sides. Might hav to try this on the next rod. Paint has had 20hrs to cure so hopefully it should be fine. I'll up a photo when Im done.

Much appreciated.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2012 12:25PM

Bill.
One note of caution:

When applying finish over any area that has been lettered, DON't brush the finish. Rather, just let the finish flow out naturally with the turning of the rod. If there is any chance that the finish has not quite set, the running epoxy will not move or change the lettering.
But if you end up brushing the finish, and have a bit of lettering that is not quite cured; you might end up with a smear on the lettering.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2012 12:30PM

I usually run a hair dryer over them several times to make sure they are dry

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 07, 2012 03:10AM

Thanks Roger. I actually instinctually did what you suggest. I avoided brushing the epoxy on the letter but rather let the epoxy fall over it and after there was sufficient epoxy, I gave a very light brush ensure the epoxy was distrubuted evenly followed by a bit butane torching to get the small amount of bubbles out.

Heres the end result , Thanks for all the suggests guys.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.153.---)
Date: February 07, 2012 08:28PM

Bill, great job on the writing on the rod - I'll send you my next rod and get a better job than I can do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster