I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cp over epoxy
Posted by: Wayne Dobson (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2012 07:15PM

I wraped my guides with black nylon and used no CP. The black guide wraps look great,,,however the brown and tan trim bands also nylon did not get CP either. They turned to mud. I shoud have known better. Can I get away with placing new trim bands, CP them, and put on my second coat of epoxy? Will the CP discolor the epoxy finish where they overlap?

Thanks
Wayne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cp over epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2012 07:26PM

No, it won't.

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.239.199.34.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 07:54PM

I use Flex coat CP and it will show up. I've used it around decals and you can always tell where the CP is. If you can keep it on the thread you may be OK, but that is hard for me to do. I only have experience with FC though. I have some different stuff ordered and as soon as it gets here the FC is going in the trash.

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: January 31, 2012 08:47PM

I've put epoxy over CP which had been applied over earlier epoxy a few times for various reasons. Never saw any trace of the CP but I know that CP thickness can very brand by brand and even bottle to bottle. I think what you have to watch for is that you do not use really thick CP which might leave a white haze behind. Just try to keep it off the adjacent epoxy. You should be able to put it on the new thread and then just take your finger or a paper towel and wipe any excess off the adjacent epoxy. I don't think this is going to be a big deal.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 07:57AM

Duplicate the trim bands over what you have, CP them and then epoxy and all will be well again.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: Patrick Lloyd (---.scansafe.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 11:22AM

If this rod is for a customer, I'm starting over. MHO.

Patrick Lloyd
Pearland, TX
Have been repairing and building rods off and on since 2001

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2012 03:53PM

I also use Flex Coat. I have had no problem. You might try keping your coverage a little thinner.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster