I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Wrapping Practice Materials
Posted by: Nkrumah Morgan (192.189.128.---)
Date: January 30, 2012 09:14PM

Hello All,

I am new here to your forums and brand new to wrapping rods. All of my rods are custom, but I paid for them. I am looking to get into this to start wrapping my own, and maybe wrapping some for profit down the road a bit. Working on a shoestring budget here and was wondering what materials I could use to practice wrapping and finishing on without ruining an expensive blank. I was thinking about buying some cheap dowel rods from wally world and using those to practice with. Any thoughts or cheaper practice solutions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Wrapping Practice Materials
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 09:36PM

You can buy old fishing rods at yard sales and strip them down. Cut them into short pieces and have lots of test blanks to play with.

A good thing to make is a color wrap test strip with a band of each color thread with Color Preserver and one without CP... and also NCP thread.

That will help you choose thread colors on all your future rod builds.

Good luck in all your rod building adventures.

David

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.sub-75-198-120.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2012 11:59PM

Unless you have some very smooth wood dowells you wont get the feel for proper packing. You can get a 7' solid fiberglass blank from Janns Netcraft for around $11 or so, I think, and you could also use portion of it to make cork reamers or razor wands later on. See their link just to the left. Ice rod blanks are cheap also.

Good Luck

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2012 12:39AM

Cabela's has some very cheap Pac Bay rod kits right now.
They include everything, blank, cork, guides, thread, epoxy and finish.
IMHO you might as well make something useful while you practice.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 02:37AM

Go to good will or the salvation army and you can often pick up old rods for $1 each.

Or go to your favorite fishing store. Many times, there is a barrel that is used to deposit old rods.
Many times these old rods are free for the asking.

Or you can go to pawn shops and often pick up an old rod for $3 or $4.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Nkrumah Morgan (192.189.128.---)
Date: January 31, 2012 05:24AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will go visit my local pawn shops to see what they have available. I will also look at online shops for cheap blanks and kits...

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 08:07AM

I pick up lots of old broken rods just by taking a trip down to the fishing peir, pluck the broken rods out of the trash can. I use them for any practice/test wrap and also build reamers etc.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Scott Kloosterman (50.36.119.---)
Date: January 31, 2012 08:35AM

I use reflective driveway markers, the type with tape at the top. $2 most anywhere and can still be used when done just more colorfull.

Scott

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 08:36AM

[rodbuilding.org]

or here - some 6.00 [www.fishandsave.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 11:23AM

Small PVC pipe is smooth like a blank.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 01, 2012 07:59PM

I use solid fiberglass arrow shafts (used for bowhunting for carp). I picked up a bunch of them cheap at an archery shop going out of business.

Rog

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 09:02AM

Whatever you get If it is not smooth enough - sand them

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster