I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Finish
Posted by: Ed Fontes (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 05:55PM

Are any of the finishing epoxies more flexible than others? Lately I have been having a problem with my stand up tuna rods that flex quite a bit, this is true using aluminum guides and stamped metal, once you start to flex the rod you can see a crack in the epoxy, customers don't want to see this and neither do I , any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2012 07:17PM

Nearly all will do that. If you feather the ends of the feet to a very shallow taper, you can reduce it to a great extent, but you may not eliminate it entirely.

Aftcote seems a tad softer than other common finishing epoxies so you might want to give that a try.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2012 09:44PM

ProKote is also advertised to be quite flexible.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 11:26AM

I'm with Tom and Dave. Both Aftcote and Prokote keep that to a minimum

Posted by: thad peach (129.41.205.---)
Date: January 31, 2012 01:07PM

I use Aftcote on my longrange stand up tuna rods, rail or harness. I have tried most all epoxys and the first dish of aftcote that I mixed up 4 years ago I left the remaining in the dish to harden. I fliped out the 3 inch disc of hardend epoxy finish and to this day I still can flex it to a 180 degrees and it will not break. I haven't been able to do that with any of the other finishes that I have tried even after a month or two, they break. The one thing about Aftcote that I don't like is it is a softer finish so it doesn't take abuse well especially the butt wrap area. So I use Aftcote for the guides and threadmaster II for the butt wrap if I don't have a guide incorporated into the wrap. If I do I will do my first two coatings with Aftcote then use the harder threadmaster as a top coat. I don't have anymore cracks at the guide feet anymore. I do a very good job at preping my guide feet and no matter how thin or tappered I get them I still get the cracks with the harder feet on west coast stand up blanks, Super Seekers and Calstars with American Tackle titianum guides.

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 02:50PM

[northeastrodbuilders.com] some info on my page\

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 06:21PM

Billy has done the testing. Thad has caught the COW. There is a time to be humble and listen. I only wish my fish were big enough for cracked finish to be a huge problem. I'll be giving aftcoat a try.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 06:58PM

Thad, good point about the finish cracking like that over time. I have a bunch of sample I poured out on waxed paper, and I flex them at the gatherings. 2 weeks ago I cracked my TM, I assumed it was beause it was cold in my shop, but I know that I've been using that same sample for 3 years at gatheirngs doing the same presentation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster