I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Over-sized EVA Grip
Posted by: Jeff Shields (12.97.229.---)
Date: January 30, 2012 04:06PM

Hey Everyone,

Working on a Marlin rod for a buddy and I need an EVA foregrip, preferably not tapered, that will work on a blank location that has a OD of 1.24". I found some 14" x 1" but the OD is only 1.38". Was really wanting something with a larger OD than that. Maybe something in the 1" ID and 1.5" to 2" OD... Does this exist?

Thanks everyone, Jeff

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day.

Shieldski Customs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Over-sized EVA Grip
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 04:55PM

Eva can be reamed out to fit if you can not fine it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 05:33PM

Jeff ...look to the left for NERBS.....Billy has all kinds,sizes and colors of foam........

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 05:46PM

Not much help I suppose but I have to question if that is what you really want. I like something I can actually get my hand around.

Maybe it would help to work backwards. What are you planning to use for a rod butt and reel seat? Are you going uni-butt or blank through? I ask because if your blank O.D. at your foregrip is that large I know of no solution for the rest of the rod.

Maybe you need to re-think the blank? Again I apologize as I know I'm not helping in answering you question. Just that there are very few names I'd trust for a marlin blank and none have the dimensions you list. Maybe marlin are cheap and easy to come by in some areas still. In my waters they require such a huge investment one wouldn't compromise on the blank choice.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 06:10PM by Russell Brunt.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2012 07:22PM

Jeff, could you use hypalon? I've got an 11.25" black grip w/ .75"ID and tapered OD 1.7" to 1.5". May not be exactly what you want.
Merrick shows some Mooseskin on p78 of their catalog...7P181116...18"L 11/16"ID 1 3/4"OD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 08:06PM by Jerry Poindexter.

Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.lightspeed.austtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 08:31PM

Bill, I know EVA can be reamed, but I only have a Dream Reamer and it doesn't ream to the ID that I require. I'm planning on making me a lathe version but I don't have one yet.

Russ, I really don't want to get into an ergonomics conversation. The blank is made by Batson, it's a 130 lb. class and it matches those dimensions exactly and it's far from second class. Feel free to contact Karry directly.

Jerry, I could use hypalon for sure. Would it be able to comfortably stretch a half an inch? The piece of EVA I attempted to put on burst at the seams and was similar dimensions. I will contact Merrick as well. Thanks so much everyone !!

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day.

Shieldski Customs

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 10:38PM

Jeff,
I don't like t stretch either EVA or Hayplon.
I just ream or use a pilot drill to enlarge the id of the grips to near the size of the blank.
Just pick up some long extension bits, grind a blade on the top side as shown in one of the magazine issues.

Drill out the grips and go from there.

Whenever making very heavy rods like you mention; I also like very large butt and fore grips. It just makes the rod much easier to man handle the bigger fish. The larger grip equates to a much better and easier grip to hold for a long fight.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Jeff Shields (12.97.229.---)
Date: January 31, 2012 08:49AM

Just wanted to let y'all know that I found exactly what I needed at Merrick. They sell Trolling Big Game EVA grips for 130 lb. class rods with an ID of 1" and OD of 1 3/4" at 13" in length. Thanks everyone for the help !!

Shieldski Customs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster