I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Writing on a blank with a paint marker.
Posted by: Brent Boxall (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 10:28PM

Does anyone have a recommendation or any experience with using a paint pen to write on a blank?
To write something like "CUSTOM BUILT FOR JOHN DOE".

Thanks in advance for your time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Writing on a blank with a paint marker.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 10:58PM

Brent,
I tried all of the various paint markers and was unhappy with any of them.;

Rather, I use an old time nib and quill and use either india ink or Testors metallic paint for the lettering.
Both work very well.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 11:53PM

I agree with Roger. I've tried all of the paint pens, including the extra fine ones and they turn out too fat for me. The nib pen (fine point) and silver metallic ink from the caligraphy shelf at the craft store is the best bet for me when hand writing rod info.

The better bet are labels from decal connection or similar supplier. Very professional looking.

Terry

Posted by: David Stanfield (---.knology.net)
Date: January 29, 2012 07:08AM

I agree that the old quill pen with Testors' metallic model paint works best. I have had decent results painting a small band with the metallic paint and then signing on top with a fine tipped marker also.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2012 08:57AM

[www.flexcoat.com]
I like the gold, copper, and aluminum Testor's metallics.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.vctrcmta01.vctatx.tl.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 29, 2012 10:38AM

I wrote on a few with paint marker and just recently bought the quill pin type. It works great. You can get much cleaner lines. I like it versus a sticker because it gives that hand made look.

Posted by: Rich Olson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 10:11AM

I've always used nib type pens for hand lettering. So far, every time I try out a new "paint" type pen,
I just end up using it to puddle a small pool of the paint on a piece of plexi so that I can use it with a nib.

~ Rich O

Posted by: Jeff Van horn (---.sip.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 03:54PM

I can give you a simple way to write on a rod, I use the nib and testors silver or gold paint, but instead of writing on the rod directly, which is tuff because the rod is round, i bought some decal material from mud hole and write on it, ( its flat !!! ) You can do it several times until you like it, then cut it and apply it like a decal, Works great for me. Good luck !!! I think an 8 1/2 by 11 in sheet costs around $7.00 but you can write alot of names using one sheet

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster