I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Acrylic Fly Reel Handle
Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 09:34PM

I'm curious as to how those of you who have made acrylic handles for fly reels went about chucking the acrylic stock in a lathe for turning. Did you pre-drill the stock and mount on a (very small diameter) mandrel?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Acrylic Fly Reel Handle
Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: January 28, 2012 10:02PM

Hi Torin
I have'nt made one but what I would do is chuck up the ararylic in my lathe turn the handle right there on the end of the block polish then drill while still in chuck then saw off and polish the cut end.

Mike

Date: January 28, 2012 10:19PM

Thanks Mike. Would you likely chuck a drill bit in the stationary tailstock to bore out the handle after turning? I've never worked with acrylic, so I don't know if such a small piece is prone to chipping easily. Any recommendation on type of drill bit to use for boring after turning?

Posted by: Chad Huderle (76.164.57.---)
Date: January 28, 2012 10:47PM

Hi Torin,

I've done a few of these and I use PVC for molds and drill 3/8" hole in the resulting acrylic blank. I chuck the piece into the head stock and then use a 3/8" brad point bit with a jacobs chuck in the tail stock. Once drilled I turn the piece using a 3/8" mandrel.

I prefer drilling first because there always is a little chip out when the drill bit exits the back of the piece. This has always worked well for me.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.yousq.net)
Date: January 29, 2012 06:54AM

I do mine much like Chad; I drill first then mount to a mandrel to turn.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2012 08:08AM

This was covered in a RodMaker article a while back. There are various ways to do it, all resulting in the same finished product. My preference is to mount the square stock in the chuck, just a length a bit longer than needed for the finished part so no tailstock support is required. Turn and polish, then bore, then part off and mount on reel.

Sometimes the reel requires a shouldered bore, so the boring process requires two bits and precise depth of the larger bore. Drill the smaller bore first, of course.

Date: January 29, 2012 12:07PM

Thank you all for the replies. I know that, as Tom stated, I will need to shoulder bore for the type of hardware used by the reel manufacturer. I have made handles out of wood, cork, and birch bark (a little fragile) and pre-drilled and mounted on a drill bit used as a mandrel (about 3/16" if I remember right). The problem I had with this was that I also shoulder bored prior to turning and occationally broke the handle at the shoulder bore during turning. I may try to chuck the square stock at a length greater than needed and then turn, polish and part. Tom, the article I've recently read had "tips" for turning acrylic that recommended using a negative rake scraper, but no specifics for mandrel vs. direct stock mounting of small pieces like those used for reel handles. I'll search for the issue you're referring to.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2012 01:10PM

If you chuck the solid piece into the headstock, and forego a mandrel, you can turn to shape and then bore without ever having to unchuck the piece. One the bore is complete, just part off and install.

Posted by: David Cockerham (---.wilkes.net)
Date: January 29, 2012 10:21PM

Torin,

I agree with the other guys. There are a number of different ways you do the same process. I’ve made a few acrylic reel seats and I make mine on a mandrel. This works great for me as the reel seats I’ve made have a mortised cut out for the reel foot to set on. I haven’t yet gotten around to getting a router bit for this process so I setup the reel seat blank mounted on the mandrel in an indexing fixture on my milling machine and step in the mortise radius. This still leaves very fine indexing steps from the square end endmill. I just take some 400 and 600 grit sandpaper and hand sand the lines out. With the part still mounted on the mandrel I now take it my buffing wheel for a good polishing. I use Clean Cut a buffing compound made for clear coat paint that works great. It will buff out to a great gloss finish in no time.

David

Posted by: Bob Hallowell (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 08:34AM

I drill it first, I then use a wooden tapered point on the head stock and a 60deg live center and turn it down. Very easy.

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster