I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best finish for a cold room
Posted by: Scott Kloosterman (50.36.119.---)
Date: January 28, 2012 12:42PM

The temp in my unfinished basement workarea is around 64 and the FC lite I've been useing isn't proforming the way I think it should. I've tryed heating befor mixing but by the 2nd or 3rd guide its thickening up and not flowing well. Do any of the other finishes work better in cooler temps? I would rather not have space heaters on all night if I can help it. I build mainly fly rods (7 so far) so longer pot life would be nice to.

Thank You
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best finish for a cold room
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 01:48PM

Perma Gloss

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 28, 2012 01:48PM

Scott,
You may pre-heat your mixing surface and tools as well.
If your mixing container is cold it will remove heat from the finish as it flows against the surface.
I typically mix on a plastic tray and pre-heat with a hair dryer.
Once it's warm to my hands it won't pull heat as quickly from the finish.
If you use a rotary type mixer with a bowl pre-heat the bowl in warm water or with a blow dryer. May take some time.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2012 01:56PM

Scott

Another possible reason for short pot life may be mixing you finish when the finish components are still too warm from heating. I heat mine and then either put the bottles in my shirt pocket or hold them in my hands for 20-20 minutes before mixing (to let them cool back down a little). My mixes work best at body temp. Any warmer and the pot life shortens.

Rog

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 02:15PM

I find warming the hardner will degrade the pot life. When I warm my epoxy in the syringe, I only warm up the resin. Mix it, then I pour it out on to warm foil.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 04:30PM

I like the cold for finish
It tends to keep the pot life longer

Then again i thin the high build with lacquer thinner

The light finish may just work better It is already thinned

Works

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 04:31PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 05:24PM

Scott,
Make your life simple.
When it comes time to finish the rod, take the rod upstairs and put it on the kitchen table.
If you do it after everything if finished in the kitchen for the evening, and take it off the table in the morning before anything starts, you have solved your temp problem.

I expect that your kitchen is much warmer than 64 degrees. Since you are not building a lot of rods, one drying in the kitchen should not be a big deal.

Take care
REW

Posted by: David Stanfield (---.knology.net)
Date: January 29, 2012 07:15AM

I have experienced the same problems using FC Lite in a 60 degree basement. I would advise moving it upstairs to coat as well. However, I would advise waiting until the wife turns in for the night to begin. Good Luck.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2012 08:34AM

Scott,
In addition to the advice on moving upstairs, it is pretty simple to make a drying oven.

All that you need is a box with about 3 light bulbs in it to keep the rod warmer while drying.

You can make a box out of any material including cardboard.
Then, about three light bulbs to keep the box warm and you have a drying oven.

If you do a search of the photo pages of this forum, you can find several very nice examples of ovens for drying.

Another nice thing that the oven does is to keep the air clear of dust and issues while drying.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: January 29, 2012 10:05AM

I have the same issue. I build rods in a spare bedroom that is a long way from the furnace and so stays about 55 degrees in the winter. Last winter I had some issues with finish that I thought might be temp and humidity related.

For this year I got one of those inexpensive space heaters. It has a thermostat, can keep the entire room at 75 degrees easily, and I can get two coats of finish on and turned, in 24 hours. I got the space heater at Target for $50 or so. I also prewarm the finish in warm tap water for 20 minutes.

Drew

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 10:24AM

Threadmaster high build, just appy it thinly to mimic the "lite" you are use to using. Plan on 2-3 coats to cover.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster