I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

factory epoxy?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 12:33PM

I just got done stripping the guides off of 3 rods for a buddy of mine,I looked at the epoxy job they did and the epoxy is really thin, like they thinned out the epoxy before applying it,one rod was really hard to get the epoxy off even with a razor, looks like some kind of glue to me, just a thought, thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: factory epoxy?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2012 03:36PM

You may be looking at a UV cured coating. These are typically thinner but more brittle than epoxy. When attempt to shave and pick these off, they tend to crack and break into small splinters and pieces.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 03:56PM

That sounds like the stuff on the Cabelas Fish Eagle 2 spinning rod I replaced some guides on. The finish was super hard and difficult to remove even with heat from a hair drier. Whatever it is, it would make a good, tough coating, but it does pull away some of the finish from the rod when removed.

Drew

Date: January 28, 2012 04:13PM

It could be the UV cured coating, cause like you said Tom it was brittle, and they cracked into small pieces and splinter , even when heated it, it just was hard and broke into small pieces when I tried to peel it off. by the way what is UV cured coating , how do they do that?

Date: January 28, 2012 04:23PM

It's an adhesive, really, that cures upon illumination from a certain UV light wavelength. The trouble is, it tends to continue to cure harder and harder upon subsequent exposure until it eventually becomes brittle. For most commercially produced rods, however, this isn't seen as a problem as most such rods have a lifespan considered to be no more than about 3 years.

Date: January 28, 2012 04:55PM

That doesn't sound like a good coating for a rod if you want your rod to last more then 3 years, Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2012 08:35PM

Some of the OEM's are using a additive to speed the drying process which really alters the finish when cured. But they can bag and ship them in a few hours.

Posted by: Derek Rogers (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 29, 2012 06:47AM

I was once told you buy a factory rod just to go fishing, but you make or buy a hand made (or custom) rod for when it (quality) matters.

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 08:55AM

UV coatings / UV cure materials (epoxy and acrylic / one part and two part) have come a long way in the past 5 years with the largest changes in the last 2 years or so. These finishes have moved from the printing industry to floor finishes, electronics encapsulating, fingernail finishes/hardeners, aerospace applications ( and many more applications) ........ anyone who is interested here's one link:
[www.fusionuv.com] .... simple GOOGLE search on UV cure will turn up lots more information

Date: January 30, 2012 09:02AM

Ken will be presenting a seminar on up to date UV cured finishes at the Expo in a few weeks.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 09:31PM

For quick turn a round rods, UV coatings are a good way to go.
You can apply and dry the finish on a rod in 30 minutes and ship it or use it 30 minutes later.

Pay for the machinery and then you only have to pay for the cost of materials. A pretty good item for blanks needing a very quick build or for very high volume shops.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 09:32PM

I would imagine, that if you were doing simple wraps and preformed handles, that you could get a total rod build to a 2 hour clock time - start to finish.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 11:21PM

Just one product example (Technical Data Sheet) that I have tested. This one is an adhesive that remains flexible.

Physical Properties of uncured adhesive:
Composition methacrylate ester
Color Clear
Viscosity(25°C mPa.s) 100 cps
UV curing time 3-5 seconds
Specific Gravity(25°C gr/ml) 1.1
Joint thickness 0.03mm to 2mm
Flash point >100°C
Shelf Life 25°C 1 year

Physical Properties of cured adhesive:
Appearance Clear
Tensile strength(ASTM D-2095-69) 10-14N/mn^2
Temperature range -60°F to 350°F
Refractive index 1.49
Light transmittance >98%
Coefficient of thermal expansion 85 x 10^-6 mm/mm/°C
Dieletric strength 10-12 KV/mm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster