I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rich Forhan competative edge fishing rods
Posted by: Glen Johnson (---.sub-75-208-251.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 09:47PM

I have two Competative Edge Fishing rods, model #s RR4WJ6 1/2, and RR4F7 1/2. My questions are what brand of blanks and apx. value. These rods are 2 of my favs and i would like to know more about them. I scored them at a local flea market about 6 months ago and they have both caught many fine fish. Any help would be greatly appriciated, tight lines and thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rich Forhan competative edge fishing rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2012 09:50PM

I can't remember the name of the guy who made those, although I don't think he's still in business. However, I don't want to speak out of turn.

Seems to me that they were built on either Shikari or Seeker rod blanks. But I'm not 100% sure.

Date: January 27, 2012 09:54PM

Thanks Tom, i have heard of Seeker but not Shikari. I think Richard Forhan possibly built them for comp. egde.

Date: January 27, 2012 09:58PM

No, but as I recall he licensed them to build his designs.

Date: January 27, 2012 10:05PM

Thank for the great info Tom, do you know what these rods sold for and how old they may be?

Date: January 27, 2012 10:09PM

I'd guess they were made somewhere around 2000 to 2004. I have no idea what they originally sold for, however. Sorry.

Date: January 27, 2012 10:14PM

Just looked for shikari online and found nothing, any ideas?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 06:53AM

Glen there have been recent posts on this forum detailing the rods you note.

Information concerning the Rich Forhan rods is detailed.

You are right - they were then and are now better fishing tools.

Click on this link and read associated Press Release and The Rest of the Story.

Contact Swampland today for personal contact concerning the exclusive cranking, finesse and flip stick blanks and rod. We have facts, blanks and finished rods in stock and ready for shipment.!

[rodbuilding.org].

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 07:02AM by Bill Stevens.

Date: January 28, 2012 08:03AM

Shikari ceased operations a few years ago.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 10:00AM

Might have been made by Brad Tharp.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2012 12:51AM

Glen, I know a little about those rods. Are the grips foam or cork ? - for the rest of the story.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2012 07:14AM

Glen, we sure would like to know the answer to Rich's question -

Factual answers to these questions would interest many!

I suspect Rich's reply to your question will not only define the builder but also the continent of origin.

International intrigue is also connected to Mr. Forhan.

He is departing on his next adventure within two weeks -

A safari to go after real lions!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 10:22AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Glen Johnson (---.sub-75-210-251.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2012 09:40PM

Rich, they are cork. Just a little tidbit. Caught a 6lb. smallie on the RR4WJ6 1/2 today! Fishing where i am has been slow so to hook up with a sixer was crazy! I love this rod, right now i am using 4lb test w/ 1/8 shakey heads and this rod performs fantastic! Anyways, tight lines, big fish for all! By the way ya'll that is the largest smallie i have ever caught! Also at Rich, i live in chico, are you in oroville?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 11:45PM by Glen Johnson.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 12:54AM

the rest of the story - it has been over a decade when Competitive Edge asked me have my designs built in Florida and sold under their name (for a %]. I agreed, but only if the rods were built my way and to my standards. In other words - my way or the hi-way - they agreed at the time. My designs, American blanks of my choosing, Fuji components - that was it. They requested the first change - instead of my cork split grips they wanted foam, to save $$$ - I said it was OK as that would not affect the performance of the rods significantly. After one year of successful sales and response from anglers, they wanted to really make some $$$ by having the rods built in Korea with knock off blanks & cheap components. I said NO. They did it anyway.

My only recourse was to hire lawyers and sue for breach of contract - I chose not to as several friends felt their lack of ethics would bury them anyway - someday - it did.
In the meantime, they built many knockoffs in Korea - with my name on the rods. They all have CORK HANDLES. What you have are copies - but since they are copies of some rods that changed the Bass game - they are good - just not great , as I intended. Enjoy your find - the rods are most likely worth much more than you paid for them. They are good rods intended to make money - not be the best possible. The best are still available - just not from me. Build them yourself - the track has been well described in RodMaker and my book. Another possibility is call Bill S. - he is aware of the best current blanks, components and design to duplicate what I intended.

I am in Oroville, but as Bill implied, heading to Africa to shoot a few Lions and other wild beasts, while sitting safely in a Land Rover, using an 840mm telephoto lens to take the shots. (I'm not about to get close to those fangs and claws with nothing between us ) .

Enjoy your find Glen, now build or buy more like them - there is no end to this obsession! The quest for excellence is always worth the effort - just don't let my wife sell all my original rods when I'm gone for what I tell her I have in them.
Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 01:10AM by Richard Forhan.

Posted by: Glen Johnson (---.sub-75-210-147.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2012 01:44AM

Rich, thank you for your time and honesty, goes far with me. As far as the wife thing, no promises. To have something you built for yourself would be an honor, and i might even fight for it! Once again thank you for YOU! Tight lines,Big fish for all!
Glen
PS. Enjoy the lions and tigers "Oh My"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 02:20AM by Glen Johnson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster