I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help Re-doing Rod
Posted by: tom mcfee (---.sip.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 07:36PM

Last year I built a bait casting rod which was never right as the blank is to light. But I think it would make a decent spinning rod. I already removed all the guides on the blank and where I'm going to place the spinning guides will not be in the same locations as the bait casting guides. So, there are areas on the blank where the old guides were that the finish has come off the blank. What ideas do you guys have of putting on the areas where the old guides were. Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help Re-doing Rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 07:57PM

Are the specks of the blank Able to be a spinning rod

Line - Lure weight - Power ???

What specks are you wanting

Most of the time it is best to strip the finish off -- or wet sand the blank and re-finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: tom mcfee (---.sip.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 08:19PM

it was a spinning blanks to start with was trying to make a light casting rod but didn't work out, i never sanded a blank down sounds like a big job.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 08:21PM

X2 on Bills suggestion.
Strip the finish. Go to finer and finer grades of sand paper finishing up with 600 wet and dry used wet. You will be left with a nice matt finish similar to the Loomis IMX or MHX blanks.

Build your rod and enjoy.

Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 08:30PM

I would simply use Citri Strip and take it down to bare graphite. After its finished (guides and all) put on a coat of carnuba wax.

I do a section at a time. Wear gloves, apply stripper, wait 40 minutes, scraped off with a popcicle stick.

Chuck

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 08:45AM

I am also in the middle of re-doing an old glass spinning rod, just for practice. I removed the eva handle and am left with a good amount of glue. How do you recommend removing this glue, stripper? Sanding?. And when removing the finish with sanding what grit do you start with? Love this forum..

Jim Scott

Posted by: Derek Rogers (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2012 09:01AM

When I refinished one of my rods I started with a coarse, about 100 grit and worked my way to about 300, but I intended to paint the blank afterwards. for the glue I probably would do the same

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Date: January 28, 2012 01:07PM

Stripper Rocks! I sanded with 220 and was getting nowhere, moved down to 100 and was still makeing no headway. tried 80 which removed the glue but was too afraid of harming blank. Applied some old stripper i had and handle glue came off much easier. I now intend to strip the entire blank since it works so well. Where do you get CitriStrip, Does WallyWorld or HD carry it?

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 02:09PM

Tom,
I suggest you look at Rich Forhan's advice in the Library before getting too aggressive with your refinishing.

Clyde

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2012 08:34PM

Yes, most of the big box stores carry Citristrip. It works well on some rods and not so well on others. I have done several with full strength stripper and with Citristrip. It depends on the manufacturer how easy it will come off.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: January 28, 2012 09:03PM

David,
In my research on the forum about painting i see your name come up a bit, especially in regards to Fusion Spray paint. Would it be ok if i emailed you directly with painting questions rather than bore the rest of the forum first timer questions.

Jim Scott

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 11:03PM

Jim,
For the glue on the handle area of the blank, use heat.
A heat gun over the area of the built up glue on the blank and a straight edged razoe blade - held at 90 degrees to the blank and scraped lenght wise on the blank will make quick work of the glue build up. If the glue is not soft and easily coming off, use more heat.
Sinc you are in a thick area of the blank by the handle, you are in little danger of over heating the blank.

Good luck
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster