I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tennessee Handles Still #1 !!!!!
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 12:11PM

These past two weeks I have played with spinning reel seats from size 16 to 22, turned different shaped bodies for skeleton seats, and even tried the American Tackle Aero seat (which is the best of the seats I tried ).

But still nothing I have tried compares to the old Tennesse handle for comfort.

Any other thoughts welcome on this one.

Thanks and have a great day!

Marc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 01:24PM by Marc Morrone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tennessee Handles Still #1 !!!!!
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 12:31PM

Marc,
That is what custom rod building is all about -
Lots of things to choose from and each person likes what he/she likes.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 12:34PM

maybe you should try a large spinning seat and make a hump as the Aero Seat
Maybe that will fit your hand better

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 01:38PM

I did my first Tennessee handle last year on a Batson RX7 2pc. for crappie and I absolutely love it. I used a 5" piece of cork-a-lon for the seat area and used a custom built mixed cork/birch bark butt grip. The balance, feel and weight is just right for me. It's by far my favorite light spinning rod. I would eventually like to try the Kevlar or Texalium.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (131.123.113.---)
Date: January 27, 2012 01:46PM

Marc,

I agree. I've fished with rods with different shaped spinning seats over the years, and after I build my first TN handle rod, it was all over. There is nothing out there that beats it in my opinion.

David,

You won't be disappointed with the tubing.

Joe

Posted by: Garry Thornton (98.145.18.---)
Date: January 27, 2012 04:41PM

I had trouble keeping the reel in place after the electrician took way my tape!

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 05:13PM

try the sbss seat. it can be made in several sizes to fit the hand of the angler

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 05:52PM

All my own personal spinning rods have had Tennessee handles for the last 15 years. Nuttin' better !

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 06:49PM

Drop by the Swampland Booth at the High Point show and take a look at the "Forhan" Tennessee Grip on the spinning rods with the Microwave Guide.

This out of the box handle set up has been in the hands of top elites for over 10 years - you will be amazed at how Richard Went All In With His Chips.

Couple these features with up to date replacement for electrical tape for the best of all worlds. Many problem can be IRONED OUT out with current materials.

Those who have fished the Tennessee grip know the true value of sensitivity and comfort.

The Forhan versions Kick It Up A Kotch!

Alex D. the drawing for Rich's handle was in the book Richard awarded to you in the Legacy Seminar - keep it under your hat till after the show.

Evidently many have not noticed previous posts on this subject on this forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 09:52AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 10:21AM

Not to sound ignorant but, what is a Tennessee grip ?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 10:43AM

Frank,
A Tennessee grip is a grip made of the same material, normally the same diameter from the butt to where would normally be the front of the for grip and it has no reel seat associated with the grip.

The reel is either taped on the grip, or is held on with a pair of rings that are slipped down and up the grip to capture the front and rear of the reel foot.

Since there is no reel seat associated with the grip, this is normally one of the lightest grips that can be put on a rod.

Good luck
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster