I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

short versatile travel rod
Posted by: chris mani (---.sbr801.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 27, 2012 04:47AM

In April I will be travelling through some fairly remote parts of Indonesia and travelling very light i.e. minimal luggage.
Not a fishing trip as such, but hope to get several opportunities to fish from traditional villiagers long boats, so any fishing will probably be done seated, not standing.
I need some suggestions for a suitable blank that will fit into small luggage.
What I'm looking for is a blank, 3 piece would be good, length around 6 or 7 feet. Able to handle 10Kg of drag or more.
Not sure yet whether it will be for overhead or spinning reel, but I plan to build something very versatile as it may be used for short casts, trolling and bottom fishing.
Have travel plans, must fish...help!!!.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: short versatile travel rod
Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: January 27, 2012 06:55AM

Batson IC847-3, St.Croix 2SW70MHF3 to mention just 2. Personally I would rig them with a baitcaster.
Cheers,
Michal

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 27, 2012 08:45AM

Give mud hole a call, they have several suitable:lamiglas, AmTak and their house brands are all good. A 10-17 lb or 15 to 25lb class rod would work. Utmost will also have something if price is a concern.
4 pieces is easier to stow than three if available.
Personally, i would go spinning unless you know you are going to be throwing heavier weights and are able to take your own lures etc.
Many times on such a trip you need to pitch an insect on a bare hook, spinning is beter at the lower end cast weights. But they are also able to cast much bigger baits too.
Take various sizes of hooks and lead free split shots just in case.
Some places get very unhappy about lead.
When building the rod, look into making the butt cap removable so you can stow a few hooks and shot in a plastic bag in the back of the blank.
Don't use feather work on the rod: many places will confiscate it on suspicion it violates cites conventions:You may even face arrest until you prove your innocence.
Enjoy the trip.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 01:52PM

Gents, he said 10kg's of drag or more. To me that equates to a 60# class stick...or more. Capt. Neil was trying to put together a group buy for a lamiglas tri-flex that could "maybe" be pushed to 60#. You might try checking with him and see if he has found a solution.

Other than that Okuma has a travel rod that might do and I think they come with two tips so you can cover more ground.

You might try CTS. They make some shorter monster weight fly rods.

Good luck and let us know what you find. Good travel blanks more than 20-30# class are hard to come by.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 06:45PM

Looks like 10KG is less than 60#

10 kilogram = 22.046 226 218 lb, lbs
From - [www.onlineconversion.com]

Batson IC747-3 is 6' 2", 12-25# line or IC847 7' 0"

Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 06:56PM

Oops!
Russ might be on target with the 60# class blank..
10 KG of DRAG may be too much for the Batson IC blanks, that puts it close to the max.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 07:45PM

Guys, i read it twice and was raised on KG's and yet I translated/understood it to be 10Lb's.
I blame the local water, it cannot possibly be the aging eyes and let us not speak of the mind..........

Chris: you are going to have a problem finding that in 3 let alone 4 pieces.

Posted by: chris mani (---.sbr801.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 27, 2012 10:13PM

Thanks to everyone, I think we have a winner.....the IC747-3 at 6' 2" thanks Ron.
Your price on that Batson blank is cheaper than Batson.
There isn't a lot to choose from, most are borderline too light but I think the IC747 will do.
Sorry about the confusion with metric, being an oldy I still think in miles, pounds and pints but in Australia we were dragged kicking and screaming into the metric world a long time ago and I've become accustomed to dealing with other people in metric.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 12:34AM

Hey, could be my fault too. To me 10kg's of drag is 22 pounds. Used to be a reel's drag should be set at 25% of the line's strength. With todays lever drags I could push that to 33%. That equates to 88# to 66# test. Ideally I like a blank to be able to dead lift the line rating I will fish (I'm crazy like that). So no way I'd suggest a 30# blank to fish 22#'s of drag. That is the long and short of it guys.

There are choices in 30# travel blanks but darn few in a 60# blank and none that I know of in an 80# blank. If I had to have 80#+ I'd be forced to think about stuff like cutting up a baja boomer and glueing aftco collets to the sections.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster