I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SCV - Casting vs. Spinning blank
Posted by: David Stanfield (---.knology.net)
Date: January 26, 2012 04:53PM

I have just built a 6'-8" Casting Rod on a St. Croix V blank using micro guides. I like it so much that I would like to build a spinning rod on the same blank. Can I use the same "casting" blank or do I need to order a "spinning " blank with similar specs ? I used 1- #6 as a stripper guide with the other 11 guides being #4 micros. What would be your recommendations for guide sizes for a spinning rod using this blank ? Thanks for any suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SCV - Casting vs. Spinning blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 26, 2012 05:05PM

have your supplier pull them both and compare them

Some say a casting blank has a TAD more power ???
They may just be the same blank
unless some one here knows for sure

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Brook Oliva (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2012 05:13PM

David,
I have a 5C68MXF built as a spinning rod and I LOVE it. I personally have a guide set up that I like to use combining Pac Bay Minima 4's match frames and American Tackle Nanolite Micros. If your interested shoot me an email and I can give you the exact layout and spacing that I used, although you may need to make adjustments depending on your handle length and Reel.

Kind Regards,

Brook Oliva
Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc.
brook@mudhole.com
(866)-790-RODS

Date: January 26, 2012 05:20PM

Thanks Brook. That is the same blank I used. I would certainly like to get your layout.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2012 05:27PM

If you like that blank, buy that same blank and use it. The blank has no idea whether it's built as a spinning or casting model.

St. Croix cast and spin blanks are different, so if you order the spinning model, it won't be the same as what you have now.

Date: January 26, 2012 05:35PM

Take a look at the specks of the two blanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2012 06:09PM

Building EITHER a spinning rod OR casting rod on any blank you like is FINE!

DO IT, after all you like the blank and you already know what it is and isnt.

No confusion: a rod blank can be built into any style rod you like! Casting, spinning, fly.....are all just STYLES.

DR

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2012 07:01PM

A few years ago, nearly all of St. Croix's casting blanks had a bit different action and power than the same blank marked as a spinning blank. (i.e. the casting rods were a bit stiffer and had more power than the same marked spinning blank)

However, in recent years, the blanks are either closer together in action and power or identical.

But, to be sure, check any blank that you want to build for the appropriate action and power to use as the rod you are planning.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2012 07:32PM

Agree a blank does not know the difference whether it is built as a casting rod or a spinning rod -

But

Pick a given lure weight lure weight and construct one casting rod and one spinning rod for long throw techniques on he same blank -

Assume casting and spinning skills are well developed by an experienced angler

What is the chance of both being correct?

Manufacturers know the subtleties of blank design s that make one better than the other for lure loading.

Why?

There is significant differences in the "stroke".

The blank may not know the difference but many anglers do.

Posted by: Jay Cook (---.scansafe.net)
Date: January 26, 2012 10:12PM

I put together three SCV's last year. Two of them were 5C70MF for the same guy. The third was for myself and it was the 5S70MF. I didn't want a spinning rod, so I built it conventional. Didn't really think about them being rated differently since the only difference was the C and S. I noticed that I needed an extra guide on the S version. And it's a totally different animal when casting. Not that it's a bad thing, I absolutly love it. Pretty much my favorite. But, I'm just pointing out that there is a difference in blanks of the same model of the SCV's, spinning versus casting. Like Bill said, the line and lure rating points out the difference. I'm just starting out and I didn't pay much attention to those specs. SWEET blanks though!!

Date: January 27, 2012 07:19AM

Right, with St. Croix, they don't list the same blank under different numbers. If the number, including the C and S are different, you're looking at a different blank. The power ratings tend to reflect this, of course.

Posted by: Derek Rogers (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 09:46AM

When I select blanks for my or my family's rods I pay less attention on the intended use and more attention on the line range and lure weight, and action of the blank. (I tend to prefer line range 15-40 # test capable of up to 2oz + lure with a fast action)

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Date: January 27, 2012 10:27AM

That's exactly the way to do it - if folks only used "Hot Shot" rod blanks for Hot Shotting, those blanks wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are.

Date: January 27, 2012 01:06PM

What about the tip and butt size of the blank That should be able to tell you some thing about how it will perform

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 01:12PM

David Stanfield

You asked a simple question that I am sure is confusing as @#$%& by now.

your question: " Can I use the same "casting" blank "

Answer: YES

I hope that clears some of the clouds for you.

DR

Date: January 27, 2012 01:17PM

Duane

The KISS method I love it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 27, 2012 01:56PM

Thanks for all the info. The casting blanks for spinning rods are ordered.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster