I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

carbon fiber reel seat?
Posted by: John Straight (---.netsync.net)
Date: January 26, 2012 08:54AM

Does anyone know of a "How To" to make a fiber carbon sleeve reel seat insert? I make foam core handles but would like to try making my own reel seat inserts.
John

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carbon fiber reel seat?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2012 08:58AM

This was covered in a RodMaker article a couple years ago (Make Your Own Carbon Fiber Tubing). Form the carbon skin over a silicon treated core (aluminum pipe, etc.) and then cut to desired length. If you want to shoulder it to hold the seat components, just make it a thicker (heavier skin or multiple layers of thin skin) and turn to size. You can shim the insert just like you would a reel seat to fit the blank.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.74.35.---)
Date: January 26, 2012 11:24AM

Can a rod blank be sandwiched between layers of carbon fiber? If so, how would you do this and maintain a round shape to the handle?

Date: January 26, 2012 11:45AM

I don't understand the question - sandwiched between layers of carbon fiber. Anything you sleeve over the rod blank will take on the shape of the rod blank. If the blank is round, then the sleeve will be round.

Posted by: Derek Rogers (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2012 11:51AM

Carbonfiber is like working with fiberglass, they are both cloths soft till epoxy (or some sort of hard adhesive) is applied.

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Date: January 26, 2012 11:51AM

Tom
Been surching in article directory, but can't find. Do you know vol. & Iss.?
John

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Date: January 26, 2012 12:02PM

Volume 12 #4.

Date: January 26, 2012 12:08PM

Thank You

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2012 08:38PM

Tom,

sorry for the confusion. I want to form a Vibronics-type rod using a hollow tube handle, say 1.4 inches in diameter and 10 inches long, out of carbon fiber. The handle could be formed around a silicon treated pipe, as noted above.

To do this, l might layer the first carbon fiber around the pipe and then place a rod blank between that first layer and a second layer. If I did that, the rod blank would form a ridge above the first carbon fiber layer thatwas shaped around the pipe. Not comfortable.

Another approach might be to cut a longitudinal notch in the pipe used as the handle form, putting a carbon fiber sleeve over that pipe, putting the rod blank into the notch I cut (recessing the carbon fiber sleeve into the notch), and then applying a second carbon fiber sleeve over the first that assumes the overall shape of the pipe (round).

I am more than happy to experiment , but wanted to learn if others have effectively created a round Tennessee handle formed out of two layers of carbon fiber that sandwich a rod blank. Comfortable, light and sensitive is the goal.

Thanks
Rick

Date: January 26, 2012 08:46PM

I thought Steve Gardner covered that is his article in Volume 10 #4. He used two sleeves, one on the outside and one on the inside, so yes, that would be a "sandwich" of fiber around the rod blank.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2012 09:12PM

That's an issue I need to get

Thanks, Tom

Posted by: David Spence (184.12.21.---)
Date: January 27, 2012 01:53PM

J.P. Timberlake's SBSS reel seat made with carbon fiber, a graphite split ring and graphite reel seat barrel is the only thing I will build. It was featured in Rodmaker a few years back. Once you learn the technique, it's a piece of cake. Never had more compliments or stares. No customer who tries it wants anything else.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 06:44PM

Richard;
I would also suggest you read the second article on the Vibronics handle in Vol. 11 #2
Titled " The Hot Handle"

If I understand your questions correctly this is more of the design you are looking for.

Date: January 27, 2012 06:51PM

That's correct - I adjusted his order to receive that one as it's closer to what he asked about in sleeving the handle. Still one of the better handle designs I've seen come down the pike.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster