I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

level rod?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2012 11:44AM

Just curious, What is the best way to get rod level on the rod lathe before applying epoxy, cause when I get the butt end level then the part towards the tip is not level and when I get the tip part level then the butt part is not, lol! so I settled for the butt end to be level, is that good enough or should I still try to get the whole rod level?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: level rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2012 12:06PM

The best you can do is get the centerline of the rod level.

Posted by: Derek Rogers (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2012 12:08PM

Ive never had an issue with epoxy and my rods not being level on the wrapper, its more important to have it spinning till it is at least in the tacky stage of the process or you may end up with more epoxy on one side than the other

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2012 12:46PM

I just made it to where my dryer motor chuck is level with my stands and I try to make sure the rod doesn't have any bow in it while spinning. When it spins true (no wobble) it makes it much easier to apply the finish. I used to just use one stand until I realized that the rod was wobbling, making it hard to evenly apply finish by holding the brush steady.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2012 01:12PM

Lorenzo,
I don't understand why you can't have your entire rod level.
I assume that you have height adjustable rod stands don't you.

If so, just start from the dryer end of the rod, and adjust the height of each rod support as you go down the length of the rod.

If you don't have adjustable rod stands, make or purchase some stands that are adjustable.

If you look in the photo section, you can find lots of different ideas for rod stands.

This is typical of the rod stands that I use when drying. They are made of aluminum with beams out from the vertical arm. A nice feature of this type rod rest, is that when wrapping, you can have your hand under the rod support.
The base is made from a piece of cutting board. The rollers are patio screen door rollers with an O ring in the groove of the roller.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 01:17PM by roger wilson.

Date: January 25, 2012 01:19PM

Lorenzo,
A few other ideas for rod supports:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Roger

Date: January 25, 2012 01:32PM

Thanks, I have a Pac Bay rod lathe, and when I level the rod I use a small leveler, I guess when the bubble is just a little off, I try to get just right in the middle of the two markings in the level, I have it pretty level now, the epoxy is leveling off really good. Have a good one!

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: January 25, 2012 01:54PM

I believe that using a level on the blank is not the way to go. Use a level to get the lathe bed level, and then use a height gage of some kind to make sure that the centerline of the rod is the same height from the lathe bed the entire length of the rod. you can make a height gage with a piece of wood and a piece of wire, bend the wire until it is lined up with the centerline of the blank at the chuck and just move it along the lathe bed and adjust the supports so that the centerline of the rod lines up with your gage.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2012 02:35PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Couple pcs of Scrap wood, two pcs 1/4" All thread with nuts and a pcs of Alum angle easy to build and adjust

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 04:25PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Date: January 25, 2012 03:09PM

?, what is the center line of the rod, or where is it? just curious.

Date: January 25, 2012 03:21PM

Its the center of any diameter of the rod from tip to butt

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: January 25, 2012 03:27PM

I use a line level but if you want to split hairs, the blank is tapered so level isnt level....actually. Center line would be a line from the center of the tip section to the center of the butt section...actually your guides are on a centerline unless spiral wrapped that is!

Date: January 25, 2012 03:49PM

Another tip for a smooth epoxy finish is to use a foam brush from your local home improvement store. I use them on my final applications and the rods always come out smooth as glass

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2012 04:20PM

This came with my Clemens lathe,seems to work fine. looks eay to make

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 04:21PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: January 25, 2012 05:06PM

Until now ,and thinking about Jims statement,I had never considered that you cant actually level a rod.If you level on top the bottom will be off and if you level the bottom,top will be off.I guess Toms comment,of centerline is best you can do,is in fact,the best you can do as that will split the difference in how much it is off from o to 180.Am I in left field or have I learned something?

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: January 25, 2012 06:41PM

When I am first setting up the blank to start a wrap I level the blank along the centreline of the blank using a laser level . As i have an Alps wrapper (Same or very similar to Pac Bay) so adjusting the blank presents no problems & a by product of doing this was the blank no longer dropped out of the chuck when being used .

Regards Baz

Bundeena NSW

Date: January 25, 2012 07:18PM

Thanks, I get the picture, have a good one!

Date: January 25, 2012 07:25PM

Barry,
Perfect.
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 01:14PM

I have no problem with finish It is always level and I do the top blank level
two rests doing the first section then doing the tip section

If after the tip is done and the butt goes out I do the butt again and then hold it true with my third wheel while doing the tip

Works

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 01:30PM

Bruce Kemp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Until now ,and thinking about Jims statement,I had
> never considered that you cant actually level a
> rod.If you level on top the bottom will be off and
> if you level the bottom,top will be off.I guess
> Toms comment,of centerline is best you can do,is
> in fact,the best you can do as that will split the
> difference in how much it is off from o to 180.Am
> I in left field or have I learned something?

You must have learned something because your post is correct!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster