I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX S842 or P842
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 24, 2012 01:57AM

Hi All,

I am trying to choose between these two rods for some light saltwatwer work in Australian inshore estuaries , chasing our humble whiting, flathead and bream.

Tackle used will be soft plastics, hard bodies, poppers and metal lures, ranging in weight from 2-10 grams.

Occassionally some live baiting with worms and prawns will also be done, but it will be predominantly an artificial bait rod.

Any advice as to the blank that will best suit this situation would be great.

Also, can someone explain the main difference between a standard spinning blank (S842) and a popping blank (P842).

Thanks,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX S842 or P842
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 24, 2012 02:15AM

The popping blank has a faster taper and more low end power.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.credit-agricole.fr)
Date: January 24, 2012 07:45AM

Ted is on the right side.
I build the two model (two piece versions), the S842 is more a Trout rod, not so fast.
The P842 has a fast soft tip but with lot more power on the second section.
For 2-10grms and your use I'll go with the P842, if you never fish more than 4ls leader but mostly 2lb or 3lb then perharps the S842 will be a better choice.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2012 10:02AM

I have built on both blanks for inshore saltwater. The S842 is a nice blank, but it is not as fast as the P842 and does not have as much butt strength. The P842 has a softer tip and a stronger butt section. The P842 is a little heavier, however, a lot of the weight is in the butt section, so the swing weight is not really that different. I think the P842 is better suited to your application.

Here in Florida, I usually use the P843 for inshore salt, but we must have bigger fish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 10:04AM by Bob Riggins.

Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 25, 2012 10:57PM

This information has been great, exactly what I needed.

I will go with the P842 as it will suit the fishing situation more, as well as the ability to handle any smaller tunas that may be encountered along the way.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Richard

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.23.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 08:33PM

I'd stick with the P842. The tip is slightly more forgiving (softer) for lighter baits and more power in the butt section.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster