I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hands care and rod building
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bstnma.btas.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 07:14AM

I'm getting a lot of dandruff or small flakes of skin on my rod when wrapping the guides. I'm wondering do you guys use hand cream before you start wrapping? Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hands care and rod building
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2012 07:27AM

I wouldn't use hand cream, oils in it will cause havoc if it gets on the thread. Just try to keep your hands clean with soap and water. You may need to wash your hands a bit more often when wrapping a rod.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 07:35AM

I have the same problem. I find that using hand lotion on a consistent basis really helps, just try not to use it right before working on a rod. I usually use CP, and haven't noticed any problems with contaminating the thread. If you don't use CP, there may be a fish-eye issue. I'm not really sure. The other thing I do is to keep a camel hair brush handy. I use it to gently "dust" off the wraps, before applying CP or finish.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 07:57AM

I don't use any lotions and won't even use hair conditioner because of the oils and silicon that is in some conditioners. If its troublesome for you, get a soft tooth brush and use it to brush off the wraps before continuing further into the build.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 09:23AM

I had the same trouble with my hands, my hands get so dry they crack and bleed often, and when I wrap alot of skin flakes get on the wraps, and sometimes my fingers start to bleed, and get on the wraps so I have to start over, then I started to wear them nonlatex gloves like they use in the hospitals, they worked fine, but sometimes when they came loose they got in the way, and made it hard to wrap, so I went to my doctor and he prescribed me some ointment over the counter called Clobetasol Propionate cream, and the stuff really did a great job on my hands, I put it on before I wrap and let it dry completely before wrapping, i have had no issues since with getting flecks of skin or blood on the wraps, my condition was from my hands being baldly burnt from an explosion years back, Hope your wraps turn out fine, tight lines!

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 23, 2012 09:45AM

I think your problem would be just minute dry skin off your hands, not much you can do about it, but before epoxying, i reverse some masking tape and dab it on the wraps to get any particles off..it works great.....

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 10:12AM

Do you know where the flakes are coming from, hands or scalp? Are you wearing a ball cap while working? Periodical adjusting a ball cap could be causing dandruff to fall. If it is that big of a problem, silicone and powder free examination gloves and wet your hair before wrapping or wear a shower cap.

Posted by: Robert Gilbertson (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 12:45PM

During the winter months when my hands get dry and crack I apply a hand lotion to my hands before I go to bed at night. When I get up the next morning I shower and that removes any residue from the lotion and in about two to three days that will allow me to wrap flake free.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 12:55PM

The point is well taken about hair care.
Take care of your hair in the form of shampoo and conditioner and do it frequently, even in the dead of winter.
Also get a good bath brush when bathing to scrub your entire body very diligently. The idea is that you want to go over every part of your body to get all loose skin cells off and washed away.
As some of the others have mentioned, I use a good hand lotion each and every night before going to bed.

For things as Lorenzo has mentioned, with deep cracks due to dryness, I go over my fingers and nails with Vaseline each night. This allows the fingers to heal and get well while you sleep.

Then, as is always the case when working on a rod, do as a surgeon does before operating. Go and do a good scrub down with soap and water and rinsing well afterward.

I also make a point about every 2 or 3 hours to do a good wash up again, especially if I feel that the skin oils might be coming up a bit.

When you scrub down, have a good scrubbing brush by the sink and really scrub your skins, fingers and finger nails. You want to be very diligent about scrubbing off any loose skin.

If you happen to be a person that has a hair issue and find that there are loose flakes coming from your head, even after treatment, then use a hair net when wrapping and finishing to keep any flakes from your head getting into your work.

Basically, consider your rod shop, when it comes to wrapping and finish work - a "clean room". Keep it clean, keep it free of dust, and keep yourself free of dust, excess and loose skin cells or flakes from your head.

The nice side effect of this is that you really improve your overall quality of skin and skin care.

Good luck
REW

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 06:09PM

I find using those CO2 canisters (maybe they are compressed air) that you would use on your computer, work pretty good on dust and skin particles. I sure would stay away from creams and oils since the body produces plenty on it own. Personal preference.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 11:14PM

I live in MN and have dry hand issues as well. I wrapped a personal rod tonight. First I went at my fingers with sandpaper and sanded off all the dry skin. Then wash with soap and water and you're good to go the rest of the night. Use a good lotion all the time, but just wash with soap and water before working with thread. If you get some skin flakes on the wrap you can use blue painters tape.

Chuck

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 25, 2012 09:54PM

My hands get dry and crack, and even bleed. I had to use the sandpaper treatment or the thread would sometimes catch on the skin. I use crazy glue to close the cracks. I started using "O'Keefe's Working Hands" cream before I go to sleep. It really helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster