I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX-HM for saltwater?
Posted by: Rod Carlson (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: January 22, 2012 03:41PM

I have a friend who wants me to build him a light saltwater rod ( 6-12 lb ) to toss 5" Jerk-Shad soft plastics , probably around 1/4 to 3/8 oz using braid. Any suggestions on blanks?. I was interested in MHX -High Mod or the Indian River from Lamiglas? Ares the MHX High -modulus freshwater only? The kit looks ok but the split grip he would not be keen on unless it had a longer fore grip.

Thanks Rod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX-HM for saltwater?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2012 04:57PM

HS9000

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 22, 2012 06:17PM

Lamiglas LP 842 XMG 50 high modulus, lighter and cheaper then the Indian River blank, very similar power. High Modulus is not for freshwater only, but they won't take the beating about that a lower modulus blank will take. I have Loomis GLX and Lamiglas XMG50 blanks I've used in saltwater, salmon/steelhead and bass fishing for many years, but I treat all my rods like they were high end fly rods and don't knock them about.

Date: January 22, 2012 07:17PM

Hello Spencer
The guy in question knows how to look after his rods, thanks for the info I'll have a look at the LP 842.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 07:33PM by Rod Carlson.

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.vctrcmta01.vctatx.tl.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 22, 2012 08:54PM

Take a look at the Batson XSB 822.5. I build a lot of these for the same application. A little light for big tops, but works pastics well.

Posted by: Brook Oliva (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2012 10:09AM

Brandon,
Between the two lines you mentioned in your post, I Personally fish a HM-P842-MHX for this application, it is rated a little lighter than what you stated above at 4-10 but I love using it for throwing un-weighted Jerk Baits. I have built the 843 for a friend as well and he raves about it also. Regarding the Lamiglas Indian River series, this line was actually discontinued by Lamiglas at the end of 2011. Good luck on your build, let us know if you need any other info.

Kind Regards,

Brook Oliva
Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc.
brook@mudhole.com
(866)-790-RODS

Date: January 23, 2012 05:47PM

Hello Brook
I'm interested in the HM-MHXSK-11 Kit but would like an aluminum winding check and trim bands to spice it up a bit the customer also wanted a longer fore grip, I'm thinking 5 inches maybe?

Posted by: Brook Oliva (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2012 12:51PM

Rod,
We can work something out for you, send me an email direct ([email protected]) with exactly what your after and we will get you taken care of! Talk to you soon.

Kind Regards,

Brook Oliva
Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc.
brook@mudhole.com
(866)-790-RODS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 12:51PM by Brook Oliva.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster