I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pre-orders for Expo
Posted by: Nate Fess (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2012 12:29PM

I am trying to put together a list of items to pre-order to pick up at the Expo and am hoping to get some input. First, one of my goals for 2012 is to learn to fly fish and I would like to build a rod to learn on. Since I know absolutely nothing about fly rods and have only built a handfull of surf rods, my inclination was to go with a kit. My question is whether I should even try to build a fly rod when I don't know how it should function? The kits I have been looking at are the mhx kits or TFO kits on mud hole. I have spoken to a few people at local fly shops and for what I want to do (fish for reds) they have suggested a 9ft 8 wt. rod. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Another project is building a pier rod for throwing gotcha plugs for blues and Spanish. Does anyone have a suggestion for this application?

Finally, if the good folks at mud hole read this, I noticed in the catalogue you guys have two piece surf blanks, but on the website you only have one piece rods listed. Will the two piece rods be available for the expo? I am specifically looking at the two 9ft models.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pre-orders for Expo
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2012 04:18PM

Nate; If you order the Blanks and Parts you need now (BY PHONE) They will pack them and bring them to the Expo for Pick-up N/C

Make sure you tell them its for Expo Pick-up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 04:20PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.gh.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 12:37AM

also Nate instead of hoping somebody from Mudhole sees this and answers your questions just call them! Its toll free and they will be more than happy to answer all of your questions. Like Barry said, decide what you want to order and they will have it at their booth ready for you to pick up. I'm planning on doing the same thing because it kills me having to pay their shipping charges.

Posted by: John Samuels (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 09:16AM

Nate: Don't get too worried about it...I buy enough components every year at the EXPO to build several "saltwater" fly rods (which is my specialty) without pre-ordering anything. TFO TiCRX, HMX & Batson RX8 are all good for the money... I personally like the RX8 (HMX & RX8 usually available at the show).
Tips: 1.A 9ft-8wt is a great all-around configuration for salt. 2. The CCS system can be a huge benefit in building performance fly rods and matching them to a caster's requirements; because manufacturer's don't recognize any standard but their own for rod power (even though there is one... "AFTMA").
3. Almost all fast action 8wt's today are really 9+wt's(per AFTMA) 4. Consequently, many specialty saltwater fly lines are heavier than their listed rating. So, If your a beginner, you'll probably do a little better over-lining it one size until you can double-haul with good enough timing and force to load the rod with the 8wt line. 4. Consider getting some casting lessons before you practice yourself into a bunch of bad habits that will take you forever to quit doing later on. 5.Oh yea, I see from above, you have built surf rods; if you want to fly fish in the surf you may want to look into this thing called a "stripping basket".
Good luck...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster