I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork cutting jig
Posted by: Charles Angemeyer (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 04:39PM

I'm just getting started with Mudhole's cork ring slicing jigs and i wonder if you would answer a few quick questions?
I should also quickly add that I watched Mr. Rumbleys fine "Checkerboard Cork Inlays" video several times so I had that under my belt before starting.
My first observation is that when I'm cutting the pie slices the metallic cork jig and the actual cork inside the jig move during the cutting process.
Is there a way that I can stop this slight movement? Clamps maybe?

Also, as a result of some of this movement, my pie pieces are not all equal. Some come to a fine, sharp point, others less so. Does it matter? Do they all have to be exactly identical?
As you probably guessed, I haven't yet tried to glue it up. Thanks a lot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork cutting jig
Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 04:50PM

just press the ring down with your finger with pressure to keep it still. That's all I do and it comes out fine.

Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.68.---)
Date: January 21, 2012 05:46PM

Slight pressure with fingers should work well. However, being a perfectionist, I find that you get a really good cut if you wrap tape around the cork to get a snug fit. More work but you will be very happy with how the pie slices turn out. Also, rather than using the tie that came with the kit to keep the pie pieces together when glued I find that a tight rubberband or two works much better in getting the pie to be round. Hope this helps!

BTW, I hope that Mudhole has a few of the plastic shims to spare. I lost mine a few months ago and just can't seem to get the consistently thin cut that I want w/o it. Hopefully they can sell me a couple of spare shims ;-).

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 07:09PM

this might help it did me , cut down 1/2 way then put in 2 shims then go do a new cut , try to center it,, go 1/2 way put shims stager the cuts so you don't you arenot to close to the other cuts afte you hve cut the cork the way you want then go back an finish the cut all the way keep your saw cut as stright as you can "an vertical," the shims can be almost any thing, X ray flim works great cut it about 3/4 inch by 2 inches it works as the saw blade will not be damaged, it is a little drawn out but the cuts have to stright an all the pie's cuts have to be the same size to give a good finish job I don't know who told me about the X RAY flim but it works
you put 2 shims one on each side center open that wayyou don't worry about cuting it I have even got pice of plastic rod to help keep it centered while cutting

BILL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2012 08:49PM by william sidney.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 07:39PM

one of the things that will help is a thin sharp saw some one on this forum set me on to a saw that is extreamly thin an sharp, I have tried many saw blades from the FREAT to Axico they will all work but the one I got off Amazon.com is the best thin an shark, when you glus the pie shapes back to gether if the saw blade is not real thin the shapes will be different sizes [don't need that will see if I can find the web site for the saw
try GYROS saws on Amazon .com PT # 83- 16008 good luck this is the thinest blade an NERF I could find, but like I said some one on this web site turned me on to them
Bill

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2012 08:09PM by william sidney.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 08:21PM

Using shims to fill the Cerf cuts, insures that every piece is consistent. If you do not shim, as you make more and more cuts, it becomes almost impossible to keep the wedges consistent. Xray film is a very good shim if you are using .008 Cerf saw as it matches the Cerf I make the first cut all the way thru and then put a shim in each side of the cut. This leaves the center open to allow subsequent cuts. I repeat the process for each cut..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster