I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forhan locking wrap
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 11:26PM

where can I find some info on forhan locking wrap for single foot guids I got ZERO on our search part ofthis forum NEED HELP stear me in the direction

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forhan locking wrap
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2012 11:33PM

It's in the Library on this page. Last tab on the right above. Down toward the bottom of the articles once you are in the Library.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.metropcs.net.141.174.in-addr.arpa)
Date: January 19, 2012 11:33PM

William click on the library link it's down towards the botyom of the page.

David guess we were typing at the same time

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2012 11:34PM by Rufus Rhoden.

Date: January 19, 2012 11:42PM

thanks for all the help I foundit Bill

Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.68.---)
Date: January 20, 2012 03:28PM

Thanks for the info guys. Excellent idea! Gonna try this on all my single-foot spiral wrapped guides!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 03:38PM

Lam,
You can certainly use a locking wrap on all of your guides if you wish.
However, folks normally only have issues with guides popping out is for guides that either have no locking barbs on the guide foot, or the guide foot is very short.

For most guides of larger sizes on most rods, the guide foot is relatively generous in length. Most of the guides of larger sizes also normally have nice locking barbs shaped into the foot of the guide. For this type guides, a locking wrap is generally not necessary and just adds extra time to the build.

But for guide feet that are short or have only a straight taper from guide to end of guide foot, then the use of the locking wrap can be very useful to prevent guide pullout.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 04:19PM

What about -- prepping guides -- the barbs are taken OFF and the feet are ground slender

So the Forhan wrap helps to keep them on IMHO

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 09:17PM

Bill,
If you take the barbs off when prepping, use a dremel to put notches back into the guide foot.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 21, 2012 10:24PM

William, When doing a search make sure that you indicate the time frame for the search, the default is 30 days, if you select ALL Ddates, you will get enough reading to keep you buzy for awhile. For what it's worth, I do Forhan Wraps on ALL single foot guides. Takes a few seconds, looks good and it's a free insurance policy. I've never had a house fire, flood or burglary but still carry insurance

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dan Murphy (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 22, 2012 11:21AM

I just learned the Forhan wrap and I thought it went pretty smoothly- The trick I learned was to snug up all the wraps at the end before I pulled the thread back with a loop

Date: January 23, 2012 01:23AM

thanks for all the help Bill

Date: January 23, 2012 01:23AM

thanks for all the help Bill

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.28.186.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 15, 2012 05:12PM

William, I found the wrap last week. I have made 2 rods for a friend . When he got the rod he asked me why I messed up the wraps .
This is the 3rd and 4th rod I have made for him. I told him the wrap is now all I use on single wraps. Asked why.. This wrap will not pull out ., That's why Just one more selling point to make. Richard Curry Linegrabber Custom Rods

What is life without fishing ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster