I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Epoxying Whole Rod?
Posted by: Patrick Lloyd (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 10:52PM

I JUST refinished an old 6 foot solid glass boat rod for a friend yesterday.

Used permagloss on the whole rod. Sanded to a good finish/used a good quality spray paint/then applied the permagloss as follows: Left hand with a latex glove, poured in some permagloss and pulled the rod trhough the left hand with my right. Did this a couple times quickly as the permagloss will get tacky in a hurry. You could also have someone hold the rod for you and do the application with two hands.

The permagloss set up really great with a smooth sheen and it is as hard as a rock.

With the spray paint I applied a 'tack ' coat, let dry/ applied another coat to get the gloss look, let dry.

Guides should be on by the weekend.

Tight Wraps Ya'll!!

Patrick Lloyd
Pearland, TX
Have been repairing and building rods off and on since 2001

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 01:23AM

To coat the whole rod or blank one does not need a power wrapper or dryer simply do this and be sure to use glove whole working with Permagloss...1. put a eye on the tip of the blank and hang the bank...2. get a coffee filter and put small amount of PM onto it and simply wipe the blank from tip to butt with a lite coat of PM and let it hang and dry this is how it done at Anglers Workshop in Washington and don't forget the gloves.

Glenn McMurrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 02:16AM by Glenn McMurrian.

Posted by: michael bonanno (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 23, 2012 12:08AM

I use classic rod coat, it dries pritty hard. i thin with metholated spirits to form a more watery consistencey.
i wouldn't do this with light weight rods. i only dod this to beach,rock and game rods.
and aslo i only do this to older rods that i'm rebuilding.
i also use NCP thread and use the same watered down method to give newy bound guides there 1st coat , than 2nd coat with normal consistacey.
i get no bubbles that way. but i'm sure everyong does things differenty.

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 07:48PM

Just an update, I did what I said and put permagloss over the entire rod (which is epoxied over the entire length of the rod) no ill effects and got rid of all but the deepest of scratches. The rod shines like new. Happy with how it turned out.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 09:12PM

Many top quality offshore rods are fully covered with two part epoxy thread finish - for a reason!

it protects the blank - plain common sense!

Have you ever seen a deck hand throw a rod from the deck of a boat to a concrete covered pier for wash down after a hard days work!

Finishing - a rod with guides -

It is time to think a little about what actually occurs when such a rod is finished.

How many coats of finish are normally applied to rods that have multiple layers of thread? Where are the rollers on the wrappers placed during the application of the first two coats?

Can you move the rollers to the guide areas for the final application of finish to the blank spaces between the guides?

Problems introduced by builders who do not do this type of work can introduce unneeded problems.

Bill B: Can you explain what you mean when you use the words HOT and EAT as it relates to Perma Gloss by Trondak cure. What damage would it do to the two part epoxy if applied before the time you notes. What advantage would anyone gain by adding a thin layer of a harder product on top of a softer underlying substrate.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 09:37PM

Well.....Thanks for all the ideas, opinions and processes. I chose to use Rufus' method.....and guess what......it worked fine. Scuffed the old epoxy, and coated with a coat of new epoxy. Rod looks new again.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 11:29PM

When PermaGloss makes contact with the air there is a reaction as PermaGloss gets very hot and if you apply it over Epoxy it will melt the epoxy and make a mess of the rod so just don't put it over epoxy of any kind at all! and wear gloves as once PermaGloss is dry there is no getting it off of your hands but if used right its the best thing to use for salt water rods not heavy at all simply wipe it on let hang and let dry.

Glenn McMurrian

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster