I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dressing black guide feet
Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.lightspeed.tmblct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 03:31PM

Quick question. Dressing black guide feet, to go on a black rod. Is something like permanent marker (Sharpie brand) suitable to redarken the area I'v filed? Im not planning on using CP so bright metal might well shine through I think.. I could use black paint for a really durable color, but it's way slow relative to the marker if it doesn't really make a difference. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dressing black guide feet
Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 04:14PM

I use Black permanent with Black guide and Black thread without CP, no issue.

Posted by: Brook Oliva (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2012 05:03PM

Steve,
If you are going to cover the feet with permanent marker be careful with what thread you use. If you use lighter colored thread, when finish is applied you may experience bleeding.

Kind Regards,

Brook Oliva
Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc.
brook@mudhole.com
(866)-790-RODS

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 05:05PM

In the past I think many used a black "sharpie" magic marker. A recent post disclosed that they contain chlorides which attack stainless steel. They do offer a non-chloride one for more money. Black nail polish might be your best bet.

If I'm using black, or metallics, I don't bother coloring the guide. If I'm using D thread I don't bother to file!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 05:28PM

Nail polish

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 19, 2012 05:29PM

Another option is finger nail polish
Slicker than a sharpie and more durable

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 05:51PM

I have used the regular black Sharpie for years and have looked a guides I have removed after years of use and have found zero effect from the Sharpie. I build only fly rods.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2012 07:01PM

Testor's Paint Markers would be my recommendation if you are going to grind and repaint the guide feet.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 07:36PM

Phil
X2.
Sharpies, with no long term damage after years of use.

Roger

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 07:57PM

Birchwood Casey flat black paint pen. Shake it up, prime the fiber tip, and paint it on. This stuff is quick drying, and since it was designed to withstand gun cleaning products, it will work with most rod finishes.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.metropcs.net.91.65.in-addr.arpa)
Date: January 20, 2012 01:28AM

There is a brand of permanent marker that won't bleed but I'm having trouble recalling the name (marksa lot??) I have one in the shop but it's too cold to get out of bed. Lol. Black paint pens also work well for me or automotive touch up paint.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 01:32AM

I like to use black Rust-Oleum painy as once you grind down your guide feet they tend to rust but Rust-Oleum stops all that.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 01:33AM

I like to use black Rust-Oleum painy as once you grind down your guide feet they tend to rust but Rust-Oleum stops all that.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 11:34AM

I can't believe Bill Stevens hasn't jumped all over this. He's the "metal guru" and he recently sent me down a research path that was a real eye-opener. I don't question the fact that many have had great success with Sharpies, but here's what happens (and yes, Mr Stevens, feel free to jump in a tell me how perfectly I explained this);)
Stainless steel does not corride because of a passive layer of vapor called Chrome-Oxide that hovers on the surface and protects the metal (sounds crazy I know, but that's how it works). When the metal is scratched or ground, the vapor reforms to once again protect the surface, but now, there are tiny microscopic ridges and valleys where bad things can hide. They breach the vapor barrier and begin to corrode the surface (this, by the way, is why the grade of stainless is actually not as critical in corrosion resistance as the polish. 304 can match the performance of 316 if it is polished to an optimum level). One of the most corrosive agents to stainless is CHLORIDE. Stainless doesn't turn orange when it corrodes so you're not always aware of whats going on, but one of the key ingredients in marker ink is CHLORIDE. In fact, in the metal industry, markers containing chloride are BANNED FROM USE and can't be used to mark or note any kind of stainless steel. The industry even sells low chloride markers specifically for stainless steel [www.nissenmarkers.com] . We recommend the use of approved Low Chloride Metal Markers or paint for re-coloring ground black feet. We also suggest using a finer grit stone to maintain as much surface shine as possible. By the way, Stainless Steel does not turn orange when it corrodes. If you have orange stainless, you (or someone else) has introduced iron of some sort to the surface i.e. a metal file to grind the foot. The use of a stone grinder should reduce or eliminate this problem.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2012 09:44AM

They also sell in a Auto Store touch up for cars Comes in a small bottle with a brush

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.lightspeed.flsmca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2012 04:16AM

I like Mike, use Birchwood Casey flat black paint pen. I find them at my local gun shop.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster