I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

want to build a rod for a zebco 11plt(trigger spincast)
Posted by: Dean Bledsoe (---.skybest.com)
Date: January 18, 2012 08:41PM

I want to use a Zebco trigger spincast(11plt) to fish for mostly trout and occasionally smallies under 3lbs. Will be throwing mostly Mepps #4 under brush, ect. I have a 5 foot no name graphite blank for this build. It's my understanding from a search on this forum, I need to build it as a spinning rod because the reel in "under slung" and hangs well below the blank. My questions are: Should the first guide be equal to or smaller than the opening of the reel? Does anyone know the diameter of the reel opening? How does the New Concept play into such a build? Should I fish mono for this setup? Preference of guides? Thanx for your time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: want to build a rod for a zebco 11plt(trigger spincast)
Posted by: Scott Nordlund (---.sub-174-254-240.myvzw.com)
Date: January 18, 2012 11:25PM

IMHO, that reel will be totally overmatched by the you are fishing for. I have one that my 4 yr old uses on an ice rod for dock fishing in the summer. A big crappie is a handful for that reel and he keeps turning the handle the wrong way and backing it off the body. The drag isn't up to a big tussle. If you're dead-set on using it, your first guide doesn't need to be big, as the face of the reel effectively does that job, so you could look at the high pacbay minima match guides to get the line started, then head for the rod quickly.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 01:32AM

Dean,
I do have to ask, what is the reason to use this reel?

Just wondering.

By the way, I agree with Scott. I would use a size 16 or 20 high pac bay minima for the first guide.

I would imagine that 4 or 5 guides would be just fine for the total guide count on this rod.
Good luck

Roger

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2012 01:34AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Dean Bledsoe (---.skybest.com)
Date: January 19, 2012 05:21AM

Thanx for the responses. I have a couple open face, a baitcaster, and a few fly rods. I just thought it might be a nifty little UL to have in the arsenal. Most the trout caught in my area are under 14-16 in. It would be a rare ocassion to catch trout exceeding 18in or bass over the 2 pound mark right here in front of my house. I live with in 100 yrds. of hatchery supported waters, and less than half mile to the New River(very small until you get close to Virginia). One of my open face reels is the Shakespeare Sigma(18 yrs old) and its on a ugly stick. I caught a lot of fish on this UL set up. Most cast will be inside 20 feet. Do the make an "adult" triggerspin? I am completely open to suggestions.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 11:11AM

Dean, I have built several light weight bream/trout rods with an underslung spincast reel for my grandchildren. Using very small reels. Build like a spinning rod, with all guides on the bottom of the blank. The first guide should be about the same diameter, or possibly a very little larger than as opening in the reel. A 2-1/2 pound small mouth was a lot of fun on the build. I used an American Matrix 2 piece blank rated 1/32 to 3/16 oz and the smallest Pfluger under slung I could find. Great fun for the kids and the lesser experienced angler.
Bill

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 11:30AM

[www.google.com]

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Scott Nordlund (---.sub-174-253-139.myvzw.com)
Date: January 20, 2012 08:04AM

To actually answeryour original question, I doubt the face opening is any bigger than a 12 guide, but you'll need those high minima's to get the elevation you'll need. Treat the closed face tell like a casting reel, as you won't have the big variation in line location that you'd see in a normal spinning reel. Just get it down to the rod and use the smallest guides you can get away with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster