I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

i need a finishing machine
Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2012 12:43PM

i've stopped wrapping my fly rods a few years ago but want to get back into it. i have several graphite, a few fiberglass and one bamboo fly rod blank needing to be finished out and fished!

the problem, the main holdup for me is i have been using a wood based turner (for lack of a better term right now) i bought off @#$%& which turns at 6 rpm and uses rubber bands (often needing to be replaced). i want something which centers the blank adequately (my current one can be off at times and leads to inconsistent application). i also want something faster than 6 rpm. i would like to buy a manufactured turner like what Pac Bay, American Tackle and Batson offers. i have also looked at sully (the single and double turners) but "looking" means online photos, nothing nearby to actually see. can anyone suggest a model not too slow and not too fast for applied finishes? i know that's pretty subjective but i'm willing to read input. 9 rpm, 11 rpm, 22 rpm.... it's hard to visualize what would work for me. so anyone who has moved up from a 6 rpm to something faster would be interesting to hear.

the big wrappers ($200+) are not what i'm looking for. thanks so much for any tips one can offer. i know i can turn by hand but i just want something with a motor in it and not sure if i could create my own. the motors i've seen can be confusing since i have very little electrical education and choosing one has been head-scratching at best.

eric
fresno, ca.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: i need a finishing machine
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2012 12:48PM

Eric,
Pick up a 30 volt dc 50 rpm gear motor. Then, pick up a variable dc power supply.

Pick up a neoprene chuck - like the flex coat one. Then you can apply finish at speeds up to 50 rpm, but slow the dryer down to 1-10 rpm as you wish for long term drying.

Do an internet search on surplus as well as @#$%& sites for such a motor and power supply and you will be good to go.

If you can't find any other sources; I may be able to help you out.

Just drop me an e-mail at hflier@comcast.net

Roger

For example:

[www.allelectronics.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2012 12:51PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2012 12:51PM

I like the Flex Coat 18 RPM unit.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.130.55.---)
Date: January 18, 2012 06:53PM

[www.surpluscenter.com]

Here's a motor for a dryer in case you decide to build one yourself.

jwr

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 18, 2012 07:07PM

Eric, IMHO you are making a mistake if you are thinking about using the dryer to turn the rod while you apply finish. Finish is best applied at much higher speeds, like 200 rpm. Hand turning works fine for applying the finish but a powered rod wrapper does allow the use of two hands to steady your self.

A synchronous ac motor is generally used. The rpm (speed) is fixed to the hertz of the electricity. You don't need to know what that means other than the speed is determined by your electrical company so it will be consistant and accurate. Look for one with a 1/4" shaft. You can buy a 1/4" motor coupling anywhere, like grainger. One end goes on the motor and on the other end you use a regular 1/4" screw. The 1/4" screw will have a washer under its head, then pass through a rubber crutch tip, then a 1/4" flat washer and a 1/4" nut, then go into the coupling. The coupling will have "set screws" to attach it to the motor and the 1/4" screw. It is very easy. The wood supports can be 1" by 4" rod with a V-notch cut in them. Line the V-notch with a little velvet.

You will need to use masking tape to build up the butt of the rod to fit the crutch tip. I don't build fly rods but if the reel seat goes all the way to the end of the butt I suppose you would have to remove the end cap on the seat and make a little adaptor sort of like a fighting butt.

You can buy the synchronous ac motor for under 20 bucks, even from one of the vendors on the left. They are used in a lot of things from clocks to record players to microwaves. They last and are cheap. Really the only thing a commercial store bought unit gives you is better looks and wheels on the supports. Of course they also cost 4 to 5 times as much.

BTW, I'm in the same boat as my old one finally died and the new motor I scrounged up overheats and shuts off. Donart has one on sale:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2012 07:09PM by Russell Brunt.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2012 07:14PM

Flexcoat for sure.

Date: January 18, 2012 07:40PM

Eric,
If you only have a few rods to do and if you have a helper and a cordless drill, you can use a cordless drill to both apply finish and turn the rod.

Set up the drill and clamp it securely. Then, insert a chuck into the chuck of the drill to connect to the rod.

Then, have a helper turn the drill on and off as needed to apply finish.

If you have the ability to get the drill to turn slowly and lock, you can also use the drill to dry the rod at what ever speed you find convenient.

Roger ..

Date: January 18, 2012 07:43PM

Here is an example of a drying chuck made form a pvc pipe end cap and a coupler cut and turned to the right size to capture the neoprene center.
The center is a piece of neoprene with a 1/2 inch hole punched in the middle. Total cost of the chuck is about 75 cents.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is a picture of the chuck mounted on a DC gear motor that runs at 0-50 rpm. The black box beside it is the speed controller to vary the speed from 0-50 rpm. I also added an on/off switch to the black box, as well as a reversing switch.
In addition, I made a foot switch that I can use in conjunction with the switch to turn the motor on and off at the preset speed to assist when applying finish.
I generally apply finish at speeds of about 30 rpm and then dial down to about 8-9 rpm for long term drying.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The mount for the motor is a simple pair of aluminum bars bent with a 90 degree angle and two mounting holes drilled into each bar.

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2012 07:46PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 04:01AM

thanks for the tips gents. some more to think about.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 08:27AM

check the photo page for ideas on building your own [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 12:33AM

I've built 20 or so rods with just this: [www.mudhole.com]

I wish it turned faster for applying finish, but it works OK and the price is right.

In retrospect, I wish I had bought this: [www.mudhole.com]

Both of these driers can be upgraded with faster motors if desired.

There are cheap motors available anywhere if you want to homebrew your own. I'm working on a 30 rpm drier now with a motor I bought from Mudhole for under $20. If it works well, I'll upgrade the motor with one of the USA built Flexcoat motors.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 06:14PM

I built this many years ago and it has worked as a - wrapper - dryer - lath - spine finder
And what ever i can think of ??

[www.rodbuilding.org]

it will not cook me breakfast - I ask it too LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 06:16PM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster